Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hazelnut oil

amother

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 11:21 pm
Is it OK if its closed and past the expiration date?

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 11:31 pm
Smell. If oil is rancid, it smells (and tastes) rancid. For the future, though, refrigerate, even before opening. If this is fine, refrigerate now. It'll last longer.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:35 am
What Clarissa said (I'm happy to see that Paul Newman is back). You should know that nut oils are especially prone to rancidity so it's best to keep them refrigerated and to use them up quickly.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:28 am
Should I take a chance if it expired 06/12?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:33 am
amother wrote:
Should I take a chance if it expired 06/12?
Did you smell it? I'm guessing it's probably rancid. Hazelnut oil can last about a year past the "best by" date. I'm sorry, I know hazelnut oil can be really expensive.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:35 am
Clarissa wrote:
Did you smell it?.

No I did not open it yet

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
No I did not open it yet
Open and take a sniff. I'm curious. If you can't tell by that, pour a little on a small piece of bread and then take a sniff. I'm going to guess rancid.

As far as tossing oil, some people, if oil doesn't smell or taste bad, will use way past the date. Some are nervous about toxins.

The other issue is the bottle itself. Glass is safer over time than plastic, which tends to leech more into certain foods.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:39 am
Clarissa wrote:
Open and take a sniff. I'm curious. If you can't tell by that, pour a little on a small piece of bread and then take a sniff. I'm going to guess rancid.

As far as tossing oil, some people, if oil doesn't smell or taste bad, will use way past the date. Some are nervous about toxins.

The other issue is the bottle itself. Glass is safer over time than plastic, which tends to leech more into certain foods.

Honestly I'd rather not take a chance its in a plastic bottle
Thanks for your help

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:40 am
Sorry about that! I know it's no fun to waste something like that. One thing that I've started to do when I buy certain foods or vitamins is write the date on the side in Sharpie, so there'll be a larger reminder of the time frame.

Some foods are good way past expiration dates. I google to find out if I have a question, but I don't like to take too many chances, especially if it's with a food that doesn't get cooked in its use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen