Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Can you help we with how to make salmon patties?

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 11:07 am
I have fresh salmon, raw. I'd love to make salmon patties but always use canned salmon.
Do I need to cook the salmon before adding it to my mixture to fry? Or can I add it when it's raw?

Thanks!

cbg

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 11:17 am
I always used leftover cooked salmon for patties. They taste sooooo much better than canned salmon, but I would never buy fresh salmon specifically to make patties, it's too expensive. I very always made them from leftovers.

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 11:21 am
You can make patties from raw salmon. It has a different texture, but I like it! I do an Indian/Middle Eastern flavored one. I chop the boneless and skinless fillets in the food processor (be careful not to make it a mush) or chop it into very small chunks with a good knife. Then I mix it with minced garlic, minced cilantro and parsley, minced scallions, cumin, coriander (the spice), salt and pepper.. It's very sticky! You shouldn't need any flour or starch to help bind it. I fry them (baking is not a good way to do this!) with a little oil (coconut works well, as does canols, olive oil (not extra virgin) is yummy too).

Hope you enjoy your salmon patties!

bubbebia

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 11:25 am
Canned salmon just grosses me out. You can do it either way--either using the fresh or cooked.

To use the fresh uncooked salmon you should pulse it in the food processor until it is the consistency of ground meat. Don't let it get too pasty. Then you can add your eggs, crumbs or flour and your seasonings. Fry it as you would a hamburger until it is cooked through.

For the other way, I season the fresh salmon with salt, pepper and any other seasonings I feel like, drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice on it and bake it until done. When it's cool I mush it up finely with my fingers before adding the remaining ingredients. Then I fry them up.

I also make a salmon loaf where I prepare the cooked salmon as I would for salmon patties then spread the mixture down the center of a sheet of puff pastry. Pinch it shut, turn it seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet, brush some beaten egg on top and sprinkle with some sesame seeds and bake at 400 until puffed and light brown. I serve this with a cucumber dill sauce. It's really nice and very different for a Shabbos appetizer.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 11:32 am
Thanks so much you all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics