Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Frustrated with a teacher in older 3 group

sbil

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:19 pm
I am an assistant to a teacher who didn't go through a teaching program designed for preschoolers and is younger than me. The teaching method that I was taught is very different from hers. Which makes it very hard for me to work with her. For example when a child is asking to go to the bathroom she will say no since she took all the children together before lunch. Or if the child is thirsty and wants to take a drink from a water fountain she will also not let. To be honest I am even a little scared of her. I feel like she is very hard on the kids and this is the age that kids are meant to be kids. If they color outside the line she will tell them something like " Didn't you listen to the directions I told you to color only this picture, do I need to take away the markers from you?" We have close to 20 kids in the class and it's just us two. Also at this age I was taught not to punish but redirect a child and if you do end up punishing it has to be more of a consequence. Which this teacher doesn't do, the punishments have nothing to do with the act. Because of these differences I neglect to tell her what a child did, because I know she will probably punish the child without looking at the whole picture of why did the child get upset and misbehave...

What should I do? as of now I am thinking of looking for a new job.

busydev

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:54 pm
is there a director or is this a private playgroup? if there is a director then tell her your concerns. I would not like it if my child were in a class like you describe. if its her private group then not much you can do other then look for a new job.

chayamiriam

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:00 pm
I am so glad I don't have a child In your class! Does this teacher have kids of her own??? I feel for you it must be so hard to work under those conditions. You sound kind and caring yes look for a new job donor ever learn to become like her!!

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:26 am
Another vote for talk to the superior, if there is one. Meanwhile, go on not telling her what kids do, what purpose does it serve? The bathroom thing especially is inappropriate for 3-year-olds. At 3 it's still pretty normal for a kid to not have even figured out toileting yet. Ugh.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 2:25 am
She does not sound like the kind of teacher I would want for my kid. I really think you need to alert a superior. We send our kids to playgroup etc. to have fun and enjoy themselves and not to be restricted and told off all day long.

rblair

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:07 pm
As a teacher myself, this type of "teaching style" is not good for children that age. You need to discuss this with a superior since she could be doing a good amount of damage to those children. If I found out my child was in a class like this, I would pull them.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 10:40 pm
We have not heard the teacher's view.
Some children may ask to go to the bathroom or get a drink during circle time just because they want to get attention, or leave the circle. It is perfectly acceptable to have them wait a few minutes, especially if they all just went.

Everyone here is responding based on one view of the situation. Instead of asking anonymously to a forum, you should be discussing this with the supervisor.

ElTam

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 11:40 pm
This isn't appropriate for three year olds, older or not. I would talk to your supervisor, and if nothing changes, I would find a new job and make it very clear why. Those poor little kids. (To the poster above me, there is no excuse for taking away markers from a child who colors outside the lines.)

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 12:01 am
Even if they went two minutes ago, I don't think anyone should play games with 3-year-olds and toileting. I've seen my kid make again minutes after she just did. It happens. They don't have the best body awareness yet. You'd rather encourage them to go when they have to.

If you're worried about kids wanting attention, then make going to the bathroom a very attention-less procedure. That's what I do at bedtime - if the kid says she needs it, we go, but there is no talking, no reading, no side trips, just straight to the toilet and back. She basically only goes when she feels she has to.

And if a kid needs a break from the circle, I think that is fine too. Some kids are easily overstimulated and need a break, or understimulated and need to move around. They are THREE YEARS OLD, why would you deny them their intuitive needs?

elee124065

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 7:57 pm
I'm a Morah for older three year olds. I have a playgroup in my home with 15 children plus an Assistant.
Often times children at this age toilet frequently. Sometimes it is a question of taking a break from the group if they do not want to do a particular activity. Regardless, bathroom time should be given minimal attention. Even though my playgroup is in my home (in the basement) I have a hall pass when anyone has to use the bathroom. They usually take a bathroom buddy with them and I am able to keep track of them that way. In reference to taking away markers for not coloring in the lines, shame on that Morah. She clearly is inexperienced and not meant to be a teacher. Chinuch for preschoolers is about helping them develop fine motor schools, self-confidence and a positive experience for their first structured school setting. The teacher should be giving them positive reinforcement when they actually finish a task rather than how they actually completed it. Hatzlacha with this one. You should find another teacher to assist that is in line with what your outlook is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics