Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Creating a website

Shopmiami49

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 8:15 am
How do I start? I am trying to help an organization start up a website and we are interested in knowing what the options are (doing it ourselves, hiring someone to do it, etc.)

Are there any major servers I can rent the domain from? Any companies that offer assistance in website building? Any way I can check out different platforms used.

Please advise. TIA!

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 11:25 am
http://youtu.be/VWyyXwoT460

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 11:29 am
If you want to have someone do it for you, my company gives non-profits discounts. PM me for more info (I don't make any more money and will not actually be doing the work, so this is not an ad Smile)

I'd buy from GoDaddy a domain name. Where you host it is up to you.

I'd seriously look into running a wordpress site which is super simple to install (I use ipage.com for my personal hosting solutions) and you can easily add content with their interface. You probably would want to hire someone to do the layout and customize it, but with wordpress you wouldn't need a professional to keep the content up to date.

dimyona

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 11:32 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
How do I start? I am trying to help an organization start up a website and we are interested in knowing what the options are (doing it ourselves, hiring someone to do it, etc.)

Are there any major servers I can rent the domain from? Any companies that offer assistance in website building? Any way I can check out different platforms used.

Please advise. TIA!

Depending on the complexity and function of the website you need, you may be able to use wix.com to create a free and easy basic brochure style website. Park it on godaddy.com or any other user friendly hosting service and you should be able to manage it on your own with google at your side.

If you need more help, or want some more tips, feel free to pm me.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 11:59 am
Another possibility is to purchase a website template and then have a graphic artist customize it for you.

I use Bluehost.com to host my websites and purchase domain names, and have been extremely pleased with their customer service. They also have/sell lots of interesting stuff like drag & drop WYSIWYG webpage design (similar to Wix I think) and offer free Wordpress templates.

Shopmiami49

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 4:58 pm
Thank you so much everyone! It looks like we are going to go ahead with ipage, since it seems to meet most of what we need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics