Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
One floor- big kids- little kids- bedtime???

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 6:44 pm
When my big ones were little it was farely easy to get them to bed because it was just them and they went at the same time. Now I have big ones and little ones. It's so hard to get them to bed because the other kids are up and about. It's not like I can go to another floor because we only have one. It's not every night, but it was tonight.

The middle ones are big enough to understand and listen when they have to go to bed. Sometimes I don't feel like putting them to bed because it's easier than arguing. They go to bed the same time every night and it's a good time for them. We also have a routine. It doesn't make a difference, there's still an argument. It's not every night like I said, but often enough for me to post and ask for help. HELP!!! Smile

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 6:52 pm
Ok, the 6 year old was making it hard because he was zonked. He's sleeping already, but it could happen even when he's not so tired. Like I said in the previous post, they go to bed the same time every night. I don't know if it's too late that day until it's too late. Most of the time it's a good time.

bubbebia

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 7:17 pm
Pay attention to the clues your kid is sending out. When they get tired they start getting whinier, they get teary easily, etc. At that point you can start the process of going to bed. If not, then the usual time works well. If he balks even though he's tired, he can still get into pajamas and lie in bed or on the couch with some books until his actual bed time.

We also had only 1 floor with different bed times for different kids--and 3 of them shared a room. We were fortunate, though, to have a playroom and a kitchen on the other side of the house from the bedrooms. When people started bed times it was time for everyone to start winding down. That mean doing quiet things like reading, which B"H was something my kids all loved to do.

And about the 6 year old--6 years old is one of the more difficult ages. They have moderate reasoning skills and vocabulary as well as unbelievable energy. They are all about testing the limits. While sometimes we give in, we have to keep our resolve with a 6 year old. They will try us to the death (ours, because they have more energy than we do). Hang in there, 6 year olds eventually become 7 year olds and they are a whole different set of rules. You will make it. And so will they.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 12:43 am
I have the same problem with my almost 6 year old. He just won't go to bed without the big kids, and he needs more sleep than his 8.5 and 10 year old sisters. I have resigned myself to it. He goes to bed a bit late, they go to bed a bit early (but can read in bed). Usually they get all wild and he still goes to sleep late but at least I'm trying...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics