Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Building house in lakewood question for builder and electric

UPTOWN GIRL

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 7:33 am
Building house in lakewood the shell of the house is up I'm meeting the builder what questions do I need to ask him ect... Also meeting electrician is there anything u recipe upgrading or think I should get,

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 7:43 am
most houses in lakewood are not built with good insulation. That means that unless you turn your heat on very high, your house is cold in the winter. The builder will tell you that he will do the standard insulation that all the houses get. That is not sufficient. It is worth paying more for good insulation as you will really be saving on heat over many years to come.

Also, the walls/ceiling/floor .... anyone who lives in a newer house will agree ..... that you are not meant to hear the water going down the pipes when toilet flushes! If I am downstairs and a toilet flushes upstairs ...the sound effects are so loud and it is really uncomfortable when there are guests. So you will want upgraded insulation around all the piping. If you are building a house, I think you should do it right even though it will cost a lot more than the standard.

Good luck! It really is exciting to have a new house built for you! I wish I can do it all over again!

UPTOWN GIRL

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 7:50 am
We are doing spray foam I think in the attic

UPTOWN GIRL

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 7:50 am
Also in the room above the garage

UPTOWN GIRL

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 8:24 pm
Bump

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 8:58 pm
Make sure the foam is sprayed in the cracks and crevices like in the corners and every opening. You might want to hire an energy consultant because the money he saves can pay his cost.

SingALong

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 8:07 am
Electrician:
I would do a few spots per room vs a single fixture. It's an added cost to buy fixtures and they give less light than spots. Undercabinets lighting, outdoor lights, security lights if in secluded area. Bright light in work areas like garage, laundry room.

I agree with above about insulation and pipes...hearing the toilet flush and shower running us awful.
Risers and treads of stairs at optimal height and depth. Many lakewood stairs are built with hi risers and small treads...increases fall risk, hard to go up and down stairs.
Solid secure banister by stairs.

m+m

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 8:58 am
If you will be renting out your basement make sure it is very very very well insulated and sound-proof. Your tenants don't need to know what you are eating for supper or when your kids wake up early. Etc

A few tips:

Upstairs laundry room!
Put in LED spots (you will save $ on electricity)
Splurge on Good windows
intercom system (wish I would have done this when my walls were all open)

I agree with the previous posters about insulation. It is very important, my house is poorly insulated and I we are freezing in the winter!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars