Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Toaster Oven Advice

Kira

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 12:49 pm
I'm currently using a toaster oven as opposed to a normal oven to cook and bake.
I'm trying to keep it parev and therefore cook anything milky or meaty covered (which is I know is not ideal for most recipes).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any general guidance (e.g. altering cooking times) or specific recipe advice (e.g. making challah, kugels etc) for cooking in a toaster oven.

Any advice from your own cooking experiences much appreciated :-)

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 3:03 pm
I do the exact same thing! Challah is parve anyway, so you don't have to worry about covering it, and I think so are most kugels (potato, carrot, zucchini, lukshen... what other kugels are there? lol). Chicken is sort of hit or miss, although the worst that happens when I cook it covered is the skin is not as crispy as I'd like.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 6:38 pm
Momentarily I also use the toaster over for baking but not for challos as it's too low. I bake half a recipe of any cake or kugel 25 degrees lower than called for.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 9:16 pm
I lower the temperature by 50 degrees in my toaster oven.
But that's for uncovered dishes.
If I was covering a dish that I would normally bake uncovered, I might leave the temperature the same.

Kira

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 2:47 am
Thank you for the responses! When you lower the temperature do you also change the cooking time?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 5:11 pm
Lrost wrote:
Thank you for the responses! When you lower the temperature do you also change the cooking time?

I check it about 15-20 min before the time is up and many times find it done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen