Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Paskesz Choc Mint Thins have a white moldy looking coating

Mevater

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:34 pm
Weve been buying them for years and they always have a clean and shiny looking surface. The last 5 boxes that were bought in different places recently, all the pieces have this snow-like moldy looking powder coating on them. Is this unhealthy? They look awful. Has anyone else bought them and noticed this?

bfg

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:40 pm
contact the company & have the box code available. they could tell you if a problem with product line. They may offer replacement products.

Ashrei

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:43 pm
I thought I was the only one crazy enough to care about Paskesz Mint Thins' moldiness!!! I am slightly addicted to these things, and whenever I get a moldy box, it's so frustrating and disappointing.

I'm convinced they are just from an old lot. Getting so many in a row is something though, have no idea why. I've been buying mine almost exclusively from Pomegranate, and the last one was not good. They were exactly as you described. When chocolate gets white like that, I'm pretty sure it's just from being old. Sometimes I see it on chocolate chips and I can tell from the flavor they are just not good.

Pomegranate credited me and gave me more, which were fresh and fine. Seems hit or miss to me. Very disappointed that such a company (Paskesz) doesn't have better quality assurance, or some way to manage the stock/lot etc. (No dates/identifying marks on the OUTSIDE of the box, you have to open the box...)

In the summer I almost never buy them because when I get them it seems they have melted and then firmed back up or something...

centurion

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:45 pm
yeah, I've had that with that specific product and with other chocolates. it tastes fine.

Read more about gray chocolate

Dini20

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:47 pm
I stopped buying them after getting too many bad boxes. But that was a while ago, not recently. It was the same thing. They were white and old and not creamy in the middle

Mevater

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:51 pm
Has anyone in Brooklyn bought them recently and got shiny ones? We tried a few stores in BP and Flatbush and even though the boxes look brand new, theyre all snowy/moldy looking. Awful. It affects the taste too btw!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:53 pm
It could be from a drastic change in shipping temperatures or storage, or they were just old. It changes the "temper" in the chocolate, and makes it separate. I've had it happen from various brands of kosher chocolate.

It doesn't happen in milk chocolate, only in parve, and it doesn't happen in regular store brand chocolate because they have a much faster turnover, and it comes from local factories.

Mevater

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:59 pm
The supermarkets all sell them at reduced prices for Purim, by the caseloads, bec lots of preople give them for Mishloach Manos. I dont think anyone would like getting a box like that for Mishloach Manos. We are all paying a nice price, even when on sale.

bigsis144

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 10:51 pm
sounds like a case of chocolate bloom:

Quote:
Chocolate bloom is a whitish coating that can appear on the surface of chocolate. This effect is one of the main concerns in the production of chocolate. There are two types of bloom: fat bloom, arising from changes in the fat in the chocolate; and sugar bloom, formed by the action of moisture on the sugar ingredients. The unsightly crystals of fat and sugar bloom limit the shelf life of many chocolates. Chocolate that has "bloomed" is still safe to eat, but may have an unappetizing appearance and surface texture.

It can be caused by poor tempering, or inconsistent storage temperature/humidity.

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 7:15 am
bigsis144 wrote:
sounds like a case of chocolate bloom:........... The unsightly crystals of fat and sugar bloom limit the shelf life of many chocolates. Chocolate that has "bloomed" is still safe to eat, but may have an unappetizing appearance and surface texture.....
It can be caused by poor tempering, or inconsistent storage temperature/humidity.

Ive seen chocolates with a little white on them, but these are so awful looking, the tops are totally covered with the white, I dont think anyone will be happy to get them for Mishloach Manos.... And they sell them by the caseloads for Purim.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 8:36 am
Mevater wrote:
Ive seen chocolates with a little white on them, but these are so awful looking, the tops are totally covered with the white, I dont think anyone will be happy to get them for Mishloach Manos.... And they sell them by the caseloads for Purim.

I dunno, the first page of google image searches for "chocolate bloom" yields these:

Not mold, just bloom. Ugly and yes, perhaps too unsightly for gift-giving, but not inedible. I'd definitely try it to see if taste is affected, and then keep any unattractive chocolate for myself. Mmmmm, chocolate. Very Happy

Redbird

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 10:06 am
I once was speaking to someone involved in the food industry. He said that cheaper chocolates, such as hersheys, contain wax as a filler. wax is cheaper than chocolate... when the price of chocolate goes up, they add more wax, and less chocolate. The wax rises to the surface with time causing the white film.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
It could be from a drastic change in shipping temperatures or storage, or they were just old. It changes the "temper" in the chocolate, and makes it separate. I've had it happen from various brands of kosher chocolate.

It doesn't happen in milk chocolate, only in parve, and it doesn't happen in regular store brand chocolate because they have a much faster turnover, and it comes from local factories.

the bolded is wrong. You yourself may not have found it in milk chocolate but it can happen in any chocolate, milk or dark. You have also clearly been fortunate enough to miss it in non-heimishe brands. Trust me, it happens everywhere. I do find that heimishe brands, and merchandise from frum stores in general, whether heimishe or national brands, is often of poorer quality due to slower turnover and poorer storage conditions. But in "third world" stores as my dh calls various ethnic shops that are the equivalent of frum stores in terms of volume and turnover, these things happen all the time. My "third world" supermarket which has a kosher aisle was selling a certain heimish brand of canned goods at half price. I soon saw why--the cans were all rusty! And interestingly enough, they did not have a
sell by" date.

Someone should inform heimishe food vendors that "yoshon" does not mean old, poorly stored, and past its prime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars