Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
When to give thanks gift: before or after visit?

Gift giving before/after visit?
Upon arrival  
 88%  [ 64 ]
As leaving  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Mail after visit  
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 72

misteray

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:33 pm
We are staying OOT at family for a week and are giving them a gift (a gift card). I think we should give it afterward- either as we are leaving or mail it to them with a thank you card. My dh thinks we should give it when we arrive. As a side gift, we will probably give them a bottle of wine or liquor for Shabbos.

When are thank you gifts for visits usually given?

BZBEE

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:37 pm
If we go to somebody for a dinner, shabbos or sheva brachos, we give them the gift upon arrival.
When we travel, and if we stay by someone for a couple of days, we will give it as we leave.

It's really up to you, but since you are giving them a wine for Shabbos already, I personally think it's nice to give something when you leave.

rachel91

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 2:14 pm
The bottle of wine, or whatever it will be upon arrival and the gift check after the visit, with a nice thank you note.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 3:09 pm
rachel91 wrote:
The bottle of wine, or whatever it will be upon arrival and the gift check after the visit, with a nice thank you note.

I'd say the same!

abaker

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 3:47 pm
rachel91 wrote:

I say the same. wine when you arrive, then mail the gift card with a well written thank you note to let them know how you enjoyed the visit and appreciate them hosting you ("I loved the brisket you made for shabbos!" or "we really enjoyed doing xyz.")

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:26 pm
Agree with everyone else wine when you arrive or for shabbos (assuming you arrive thursday) and gift card as you are leaving.

Whenever we have stayed somewhere I usually give the gift as we are leaving or leave it on the beds (which are stripped and made neat) if they are not home.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:30 pm
Don't sweat it--any of the three is acceptable.

misteray

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 2:33 pm
Thanks everyone for the replies!

We ended up leaving it on the table as we were leaving. Hopefully we'll be invited back again! Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics