Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Pls help: ideas for healthy meals

Temilia

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 12:50 am
I need healthy ideas for breakfast, lunch and supper.
Dh has high cholesterol so we need food that will help lower cholesterol. Dh doesn't like lentils beans peas etc... So that's a bit of a problem.

For dinner I can make fish once a week, chicken stirfry once, roast chicken and veggies once, what other healthy yum meals are there.
Lunch can be a tuna salad or chicken salad. Any other to go meals that are good?
Oatmeal and smoothies for breakfast. Any other ideas?

I know all you fabulous cooks can give me some delicious nutritious and healthy ideas!
TIA

Pineapple

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 6:42 am
Temilia wrote:

Dh has high cholesterol so we need food that will help lower cholesterol.

Have him drink pomegranate juice (if he does not have to watch his sugar)

Temilia

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 6:45 am
Pineapple wrote:
Have him drink pomegranate juice (if he does not have to watch his sugar)

Thanks. Is it the juice specifically or do the seeds help too?

Pineapple

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 6:49 am
Temilia wrote:
Thanks. Is it the juice specifically or do the seeds help too?

I'm sure seeds are just as good

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 11:56 am
I didn't look at the list of what you already make, but here are some ideas:

Breakfast:
Egg white omelette with add-ins (mushrooms, onions, peppers, spinach)
Apple and plain yogurt
Kiwi/banana/blueberries/cantaloupe/pineapple/any other sweet fruit with fatfree/lowfat cottage cheese

Lunch:
Whole wheat turkey wrap
WW tuna wrap
WW chicken wrap
(Be sure to add a lot of lettuce and tomato to the wraps)
Salads
WW pita and hummus with baby carrots
Vegetable burger, Dr. Praeger's brand has all natural ingredients, no chemicals- put this in a WW pita with lettuce and dressing/tehina
Yogurt and granola and fruit, if this wasn't for breakfast
Salmon patties (simplest recipe; just google it) with salad
Tuna patties with salad

Dinner:
Lean meat
Turkey breast (or white turkey burgers)
Chicken breast (cutlets or whole- but use the breast, not the legs, and don't eat the skin: the legs and skin have a lot of cholesterol. So do the wings.) You can do one day cutlets, one day roast chicken (I like the Garlic Chicken from the BY Cookbook) One day chicken stew with veggies and rice
WW Lasagna with FAT FREE cottage cheese and a little bit of REDUCED FAT cheese and lots of FAT FREE tomato sauce. You can even make this lasagna out of zuchinni! Takes a little more time though.

smiledr

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 5:34 pm
By cookbook has recipe for wholesome muffins that are about 155 calories and tastes great. Good snack or breakfast. Bagel thins toasted w light smart balance is a great breakfast too tho not well rounded but enjoy it. Always use half lean beef mixed w half lean white turkey when making burgers, meatballs or meatloaf. It improves the texture and cuts the fat and cholesterol. Salmon Cesar salad is a great lunch as well as Cesar salad w a scoop of tuna. Dinners - roast chicken on a bed of veggies, Schwarma chicken w Israeli salad (just sautéed chicken breast cubes in nonstick pan w tons of pereg Schwarma seasoning ) . My Israeli salad is best when made a few hours before - just cucumbers grape tomatoes peppers and scallion or red onion w salt pepper lemon juice.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 7:47 pm
Can he have dark chicken and turkey or only white? Dark ground turkey is a delicious alternative to ground beef.

Turkey breast can be baked in the oven, 20 minutes per lb. Keep in the fridge. Slice thin or cube and serve over salad for lunch.

Also, my father in law eats lots of raw whole garlic cloves and it brought down his cholesterol tremendously bh.

Temilia

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 4:13 am
Thanks for all the suggestions.
We don't have cottage cheese where we live or turkey. Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus