Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to find gvirim/people who give tzedakah?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:11 pm
Our financial situation has been terrible for quite a while, and recently there have been additional problems: loss of work, jobs that were supposed to pay but don't, expensive, time consuming and work inhibiting medical issues, big unexpected expenses,e tc.

I've never been here before (and I hope not to be here for long) but we are in a position where we need to take tzedakah in order to make it through the next few months. I have no experience with this and no idea where to turn.

Is there some sort of list of gvirim? Are there baalei tzedakah who give donations over the phone without you being there in person (we can provide legit/respectable references who are very familiar with our situation)? Neither of us is in a position to go traveling to ask (I'm about to give birth and must work as much as possible till then, and dh is also frantically working and can't just take off, not that we have the money to travel in the first place).

Also, while of course every bit helps, we're not looking to make tzedakah our parnassah source. WHich means that we need someone who would give a larger donation (on top of our working), rather than the full-time meshulach route where you get $5 here, $50 there, $100 from someone else.

While I know there are people who give lots of tzedakah, I am clueless about how to find them.

(I'm so embarrassed to be asking this. Posting here because amother is disabled in the inquiry section.)

amother

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:39 pm
Hug does your rav have a tzedakah fund?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 9:09 pm
Most cities have an organization which gives help to people who need it. Most people with money prefer to give this way rather than having to know everyone's story and making the recipients feel uncomfortable. If you're not sure who acts as a kind of shaliach for the rich people in town, ask your Rav. You could also be in touch with Tomchei Shabbos and similar organizations, and the people who run those can usually direct you.

As someone who's involved in this sort of thing, I just want to warn you that sometimes there isn't enough money to be able to help everyone who's asking. I really hope that's not the case for you, but just wanted to forewarn you that it may not be simple.

Also be prepared that you may not be able to get the money you want as a gift, it may be as a loan.

Wishing you lots of hatzlacha.

sunflower_seed

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 12:39 am
op
a gmach might be an option too
ask your rav

hatzlocha and may this situation be over soon!

hugs

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 1:03 am
Hugs!

I don't know where you live but it's best to approach an org that targets your particular need. Gevirim are giving a lot in my neighborhood and therefore I find that as an individual, when I've fundraised, that the checks are less because the quantity of ppl coming has grown.

theotherone

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:09 am
I think your shul rav is the best way to go. 1) most of them have their own discretionary funds 2) at least in my community, there is a large tzedakah that gives money to ppl in need but they are usually referred by the rav who can vouch for them etc. I don't think an individual can just approach the tzedakah on their own.
Hatzlacha! Hope things improve soon.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:54 am
Just something else to consider- do any of your friends or your family already know your situation and might be able to help you? aka you wouldn't have to share your sob story with someone new. Personally we give a large chunk of our money to a family member and have loaned significant amounts of money to a friend who sounds like similar to you-aka responsible who is working but unfortunately has been thrown some "curve balls" recently- medical etc... we recently offered to give them money as tzedakah instead of a loan since we know they are stressed.. They said they will ask a shailah if they can take it and if yes then they would appreciate it.

Some organizations are willing to be the intermediary so that people can get a tax receipt. Personally we are much more willing to give to someone we know as opposed to giving to a random organization. We know the money will also be used right away. We've had an tzedakah organization wait about 3 months before cashing our check!!!! We don't give there anymore. We know these people, we know they are legit and they are our friends. They also "help" us in whatever way they can- its a friendship that goes both ways, not a "chessed case"- if you know what I mean. Not sure if you have people like that in your life.

anon- for obvious reasons
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics