Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Stone & Bath Impronta Calacatta Tile dilemma

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 10:35 am
I did a bathroom 1 1/2 years ago... and one floor tile got shaky. The person working hoped he could cut that tile out neatly and put it back and I wouldnt need to look for a new tile. It didnt work, it cracked!!!

When I bought these tiles by Stone and Bath, the lady underestimated how much tile Ill need and I didnt have extra of this tile- her mistake. So now I went back to Stone and Bath and bought a new box of this tile. Last night we picked up the box of tile. Oh brother! Its a quite different dye lot. Mine has a grayer background, the new tile has a whiter background.

Do I:

1- Just put the one tile in and do a badly noticeable "SHTICKL"ING patch job

OR

2- Redo the whole floor, my bathroom isnt that big....then I need more tile and more labor but that would look good and the whole bathroom is less than 2 years old.

Btw, Ive had assorted headaches with the matching wall tile in this bathroom, and Stone and Bath. Two OTHER contractors, besides the contractor who did the job, say the Stone and Bath tile was damaged because when this tile was installed and laid one over the other, its not smooth, (its faux marble, so to appear to be marble the edges are purposely not rounded like most ceramic tiles are, but theyre supposed to be totally straight) some of the tiles bulge in and out ever so slightly, making it look like a shoddy contracting job, but because tile doesnt bend, its not the contractor's fault, its the tile. Two contractors said this, besides the contractor who did the work. Some tiles were defective. Boss wasnt there, and when I noticed it, it was done.

Saleslady at Stone & Bath said no one else complained. Im wondering...

But back to the floor dilemma....which would you do 1 or 2?

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:08 am
I would go back to the store and tell the lady that the box you bought is a different dye lot from those you originally bought 2 years ago. Ask her if she might still have a box of the old dye lot.
I am doing tiles now too and had a similar experience elsewhere, where I liked the lighter dye lot and not the darker one. The salesperson told me the lighter one is an older batch but to wait for the new shipment which came in shortly after, that had the lighter lot again.

Rivky

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:10 am
keep in mind that the tile colors vary with the shipment.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:56 am
OP here.

Thanks.

I laid out all the floor tiles in the new box and I see 2 that are darker at the edges and I can use one of those two (theyre all different because theyre faux marble).

But the bumpy wall tiles bothers me to no end... Im soooooo curious if anyone else had the same issue with Impronta brand tiles (according to Stone & Bath she sells truckloads of this tile and Im the only one who has contractors saying the tile is defective (not like shed tell me if I wasnt the only one... what would she do? Offer to redo the bathroom?).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics