Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help please - house out of control

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 9:05 pm
really need your help, ladies.
DH and I both work full time in NY/NJ area (long commutes). several small kids. too small apartment. constantly asking myself how we can possibly live in such a mess (messy not dirty!). it takes enormous time and energy commitment to keep up the house for daily maintenance as well as decluttering to make best use of our limited space. Every room is multipurpose and therefore is cleaned and use numerous times each day.
I am embarrassed by our situation yet do not know how to fix it. totally overwhelmed.
all suggestions welcome. we value many of these "possessions" and hope that iy"H one day they will have an appropriate place in a larger home (e.g. books) but for now they take up valuable space (how to balance the stuff vs space)

tia

rachel6543

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 9:26 pm
If it's stuff you really want to keep, but rarely use, could you rent a storage unit? Does your apartment have extra storage units you can rent? I've seen this at some locations. Does a relative have garage space you can borrow or rent?

Other ideas - check out stores or websites like The Container Store, Bed Bath & beyond, ikea... Etc for storage solutions for small space. I have a small house (less than 1200 sq ft) and have been able to find simple things and ideas there to more efficiently use my space. For instance, I put those sticky hooks at the top of my closet so I can hang hats, scarves and belts.

Do you have empty wall space? Ask your landlord if you can add extra shelving.

Also, get rid of clutter ASAP. Junk mail throw away daily.

Maybe start your "pesach" cleaning now. Every weekend go through a certain area and de-clutter and get rid of stuff. If you haven't used it in 1-2 yrs, seriously consider selling, donating or throwing out. I did this about 3 hrs ago before peasach. Took me about 4-6 weeks, but I reorganized and got rid of stuff. Don't even notice the stuff we gave away. My house is easier to keep organized, but still a challenge for me. I'm not a naturally organized person.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 10:16 pm
yep - you have to throw out. Keep on throwing things away. You are not a storage center for things that no one is using. Each item has to have a "home" - a place where it belongs to make the house look tidy. If things weren't used in a while --time to get rid of them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics