Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Are these granola bars considered healthy?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:29 pm
I know its not the healthiest food out there but how bad is this? It has to be better then what Ive been snacking on till now...

5 cups old fashioned quaker oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup margarine or oil
2/3 cup honey
1 1/2 cup craisins

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
I know its not the healthiest food out there but how bad is this? It has to be better then what Ive been snacking on till now...

5 cups old fashioned quaker oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup margarine or oil
2/3 cup honey
1 1/2 cup craisins

I can't answer for certain but I can say definitely use oil and not the margarine if you want it to be "healthy" Comparatively they appear healthy to me. I'll be happy to hear what others have to say.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 1:02 am
Most craisins have added sugar. Just making you aware.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 1:20 am
Use coconut oil instead of margarine, make sure the fruit is "no sugar added", and be aware that honey has tons of calories.

smss

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:08 am
depends what you're trying to limit, but they sound pretty good to me- only whole grains, yes definitely try to use coconut oil instead of marg or canola, and 2/3 c honey isn't that much for 6 cups of grains...

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:58 am
Its very important to make sure you're using the old fashioned oats and not the instant. The whole grain depends on that.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
Most craisins have added sugar. Just making you aware.
the original recipe calls for 1/3 cup brown sugar and chocolate chips. I took out both of those and use craisins instead.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
Its very important to make sure you're using the old fashioned oats and not the instant. The whole grain depends on that.
I use this http://www.soap.com/p/quaker-o.....=true
Is this the right kind of oats?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 12:23 pm
smss wrote:
depends what you're trying to limit, but they sound pretty good to me- only whole grains, yes definitely try to use coconut oil instead of marg or canola, and 2/3 c honey isn't that much for 6 cups of grains...
thats the whole problem, I have no idea what foods I need to limit! I just know that I need to lose some weight (according to my dr) and so I am trying to eat healthier. I totally cut out all soda from my diet. I am starting to use whole wheat flour for the first time in my life. Cutting down the sugar in recipes. Eating more fruit/ veggies. Whats next?

etky

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:

Instant oats are also a whole grain and contain the same nutritional value as regular oats. The only difference is that they have undergone a process to make them cook quicker and because they are more broken down this gives them a higher glycemic index. If you add some nuts, which have protein, this should pretty much offset the difference. For reasons of taste and texture though I would probably prefer the old fashioned oats which is what I usually bake with.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
thats the whole problem, I have no idea what foods I need to limit! I just know that I need to lose some weight (according to my dr) and so I am trying to eat healthier. I totally cut out all soda from my diet. I am starting to use whole wheat flour for the first time in my life. Cutting down the sugar in recipes. Eating more fruit/ veggies. Whats next?

If you're on a non-specific weight loss diet then you have to cut fat too. It has way more calories than sugar though too much of either is bad for you for different reasons.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 12:37 pm
They sound like a good occasional snack (provided you skip the margarine).

To lose weight, I suggest you skip all recipes that call for more than 1 tsp sugar (or sugar-containing products such as duck sauce, ketchup), or replace the sugar with splenda.

These are good for when you have a craving for something baked to go with your coffee, but in general, better snacks would be vegetable sticks, fruit, or nuts (almonds and walnuts are best, in moderation).

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
I use this http://www.soap.com/p/quaker-o.....=true
Is this the right kind of oats?

Yes this is the right one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking