Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dh forgot to refrigerate the chicken

boro parker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:09 am
My chicken cooked until 11:00 pm last night and was left out until I realized it this morning at 8 am. can I use it or should it be dumped? Crying

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:10 am
I wouldn't risk getting any one sick. Dump it.

etky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:17 am
Dump, for sure.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:23 am
Can't see any way it would be safe to eat. Sorry!

Milky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:45 am
I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent here.

If your house is normal temperature, and the chicken was fully cooked, I'd heat it up really high and then serve. I've done this before with no consequences.

And now I'll go hide in shame. embarrassed embarrassed

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:47 am
Weve all been there. Dump.

Milky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:51 am
There is at least one other daredevil out there.

Copied from http://www.thekitchn.com/:

Help! I Accidentally Left Food Out All Night! Is It Still Good?

Q: I made a delicious slow-cooked pork shoulder yesterday and forgot to put it in the fridge before I went to bed. I realized I had left it out this morning at 6:30. While it was hot still when I went to bed, it was out at about 68°F room temp all night. Is there any way to save it or is it a lost cause?
Sent by Heather

Editor: Oh, I feel your pain! Technically speaking and if this were a restaurant situation, your pork was in the "danger zone" (between 40°F to 140°) for longer than recommended and should be tossed. This said, you could also re-heat the dish to above 140°F to kill any nasties and be ok eating it. Normally, reheating like this would also kill the food's flavor and texture, but since this was a slow-cooked dish to begin with, I don't think it would be affected as badly by reheating.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:53 am
BTDT and it tasted fine.

boro parker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:01 pm
Milky wrote:

If your house is normal temperature, and the chicken was fully cooked, I'd heat it up really high and then serve. I've done this before with no consequences.

what would you consider normal temperature?

Milky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
BTDT and it tasted fine.

It's not the taste they're worried about, it's the bacteria. The aftereffects are supposedly nasty, but I've never experienced them.

But thanks for joining my club anyway.

OP, do you eat raw cake batter? That might tell us which side of the fence you're on. (I do, and it's YUMMY!)

etky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:12 pm
Milky wrote:
It's not the taste they're worried about, it's the bacteria. The aftereffects are supposedly nasty, but I've never experienced them.

But thanks for joining my club anyway.

OP, do you eat raw cake batter? That might tell us which side of the fence you're on. (I do, and it's YUMMY!)

I wouldn't have thought to put these two things together but I do see the connection. I don't eat raw cake batter and forbid my kids to even lick the spoon. I won't even eat "cookie dough" flavor ice cream for fear there's some raw egg lurking in there Smile
I'm definitely not on the 'relaxed' side of the fence.

Milky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:17 pm
boro parker wrote:
what would you consider normal temperature?

Room temperature. Not too warm/hot.

Anything ranging from cool (my house is so drafty!) to comfortable.

Not under a heating vent.

Not in a nursing home or your Bubby's house.

Milky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:24 pm
etky wrote:
I wouldn't have thought to put these two things together but I do see the connection. I don't eat raw cake batter and forbid my kids to even lick the spoon. I won't even eat "cookie dough" flavor ice cream for fear there's some raw egg lurking in there Smile
I'm definitely not on the 'relaxed' side of the fence.

I think I have a super-strong stomach.

I can only remember throwing up 2 or 3 times EVER.

Which should explain my stance. But I understand why people are careful.

boro parker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:37 pm
Milky wrote:
Room temperature. Not too warm/hot.

Anything ranging from cool (my house is so drafty!) to comfortable.

Not under a heating vent.

Not in a nursing home or your Bubby's house.

I think I'll have to dump it. my apartment is generally to the warm side (too warm, we sleep with open windows in 30 degree weather...)

but yes, I do eat cake batter, and you're right, it's yummy!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 6:57 pm
BTW just want to point out that if anyone is pregnant/young/old/sick, than FOR SURE the chicken would need to be tossed, it can be extremely dangerous! Toxins and bacteria that would do no harm to a healthy adult can be dangerous for the pregnant (fetus)/young/old/sick.

Milky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 8:02 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
BTW just want to point out that if anyone is pregnant/young/old/sick, than FOR SURE the chicken would need to be tossed, it can be extremely dangerous! Toxins and bacteria that would do no harm to a healthy adult can be dangerous for the pregnant (fetus)/young/old/sick.

In total agreement!!

That was something I typed up before and I see now that I neglected to add it into my post.

But it doesn't seem like the OP and the other thousands of members were about to risk it. Smile

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 8:06 pm
Milky wrote:

At least someone else agrees with me! I know most people would disagree, but I do it all the time, when the food is too hot to refrigerate. OP, you put it in the fridge first thing in the morning, so I think it will be ok.

willow

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 11:26 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
At least someone else agrees with me! I know most people would disagree, but I do it all the time, when the food is too hot to refrigerate. OP, you put it in the fridge first thing in the morning, so I think it will be ok.

Make that iron stomach # 3 here Wink

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 11:52 am
I'm a bit on the fence as to the actual probable risk, but honestly, I've had salmonella food poisoning and it was the worst gastro bug ever. I hallucinated for 3 days, and slept in the bathroom for two nights as I was either vomiting or had diarrhea every 20 minutes and was too weak to walk from the bedroom.

And I missed my friend's wedding which I had flown over for, got sick on the plane, spent the whole vacation either ill or recovering Crying

I wouldn't risk putting myself or any member of the family through that.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 1:55 pm
Reheating on a high temp will kill the bacteria, but not the toxins. The toxins are what can make you really really really sick. You can't kill them once they form, and you don't want to be eating them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics