Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sticky dough

coconutbutter

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 5:57 am
I followed a recipe nearly to the tee but instead of 2 egg yolks I added one egg....could it be making my dough that much stickier!? I added alot more flour than it called for and its still sticky. Now I'm afraid it's just going to be so dense! What should I do?

willow

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 7:18 am
don't braid it just plop it in a pan in a loaf shape. It will be dense if you continue to add flour.

vicki

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 7:34 am
I used to have the same problem. Dense challa that could double as a bowling ball because I added flour until the dough was very manageable.
Now - after I add the exact flour measurements I just add a few handfuls of flour to make the dough a bit less sticky and lightly oil my hands and braid the sticky dough the best I can. It is more messy but I avoid dense challah. The end result is delicious. You would never know or care how sticky it used to be.

coconutbutter

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 2:41 pm
Thanks for your responses!

Despite my having added flour my Challah turned out soft and fluffy! Wow, Siyata Dishmaya! Especially because it didn't even end up rising (?!?!- I did proof the yeast and it was ok)! Hashem really loves me

bookie

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:19 pm
Bumping this up:

For some reason the last two times I made challah it was incredibly sticky. This time so sticky that it wasn’t workable. I threw out all the dough

Any ideas what’s causing it

ez-pass

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:04 pm
I find the weather has a lot to do with it. I actually don't measure my flour. I do it according to touch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads