Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Renewing professional certification
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 7:43 pm
Has anyone ever renewed their professional teacher's certification? I just realized mine expires in a year, and I need to do 175 hours by then. Help! All the courses I've seen advertised are expensive and time-consuming! Any tips from someone who's done it?

groisamomma

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 8:22 pm
Are you talking about the 175 hours of professional development you need in order to keep your certification current? You don't do 175 hours at once, you get a certificate every time you attend a professional development workshop and in 5 years it's expected that you will accumulate 175 hours.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 8:29 pm
Yes, I am, and I understand that. But I have one year left, and only a couple of hours accumulated. I'm starting to panic. Most courses are just so Inconvenient for me that I never did them.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 8:33 pm
Assuming u are in ny, If u do not work in a public school u only need to do a percentage of the hours (I think like 60 percent). Im not exactly sure because I work in a public school. If you work in a public school, ur school will have provided you with those hours.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
Assuming u are in ny, If u do not work in a public school u only need to do a percentage of the hours (I think like 60 percent). Im not exactly sure because I work in a public school. If you work in a public school, ur school will have provided you with those hours.
where did you get this info from? Where can I verify it?

groisamomma

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 9:03 pm
She is correct that public schools will provide you with the hours, or at least the opportunities to obtain those hours, then they will report it for you. Non-public school teachers in NYS use the TEACH system to log their hours. Check out this website I found using Google: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/......html

If you are not employed in a New York State public school….

You must complete professional development every five years. However, the hourly obligation of 175 hours every 5 years is reduced by 10% for every year of your professional development period during which you are not employed in a public school. Example: If you teach in a nonpublic school for 2 years out of your professional development period, you must complete a total of 140 hours of professional development in that period (.20 x 175= 35 hours; 175 minus 35 = 140 hours). NOTE: This calculation is done automatically and is displayed on your individual professional development record. This maintains the validity of the Professional certificate and allows you to continue to teach. The first professional development period begins on July 1 following the effective date of the certificate.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:34 am
Anyone know where to find out about courses in Brooklyn that are good for professional development? I know if you work for an agency such as yeled vyalda, they give workshops and in service trainings that can be counted towards PD. But if I work privately how do I find out about workshops and that I can take?

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:15 am
Many of the agencies have at least some of their PD workshops open to the public. You usually have to pay for them but often they offer credits. Call all the agencies and ask if they have a mailing/email list you can join to be notified of upcoming workshops.

The Jewish Press Building Blocks supplement has a resource section in the back that lists many conferences and workshops, many of which offer PD credits. Check that out. Their last issue was September and it's only quarterly so get a hold of September's. It may be available online, I'm not sure how long it takes before they put it online.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:18 am
seeker wrote:
Many of the agencies have at least some of their PD workshops open to the public. You usually have to pay for them but often they offer credits. Call all the agencies and ask if they have a mailing/email list you can join to be notified of upcoming workshops.

The Jewish Press Building Blocks supplement has a resource section in the back that lists many conferences and workshops, many of which offer PD credits. Check that out. Their last issue was September and it's only quarterly so get a hold of September's. It may be available online, I'm not sure how long it takes before they put it online.

Thanks so much. Am going to try to find the Jewish press supplement.
Besides yeled vyalda, any ideas which other agencies might offer workshops open to the public?

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:26 am
Nachas Consulting offers some workshops. These, and others, are often advertised in papers like Hamodia etc.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:06 pm
Does anyone know of any free online workshops besides for the child abuse one that is required every two years?

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:09 pm
Challenge Early Intervention sometimes sponsors workshops open to the public.
I think also some webinars qualify for PD credits. Look around online.

howru2day

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:18 pm
Omnis workshops are also open to public for a fee. Yeled has teleconferences as well for credits

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:53 am
Seeker, you seem to know your way around this. I never did professional development for my certification yet (took workshops but that was before my PD period started). I have no idea how to report courses that I took. Can you help?
Firstly, do they ever ask for proof of the courses I report? I see everything is self reported and I dont have to send in a documentation, or so it seemed to me.
Second, if I take an online class from https://www.ecetp.pdp.albany.edu (found this link on another thread here), what do I fill in for name of provider, provider type (options are BOCES, college/university, school district, teaching center, other/out of state), amount of hours-course was 1.5 hours but the certificate says 0.15 CEUs. Same for a workshop I took in a private school, the certificate is from Office of Child and Family Services, what do I write for name and type?

Hope I dont sound dumb, I hate feeling so clueless. I like to know how to do things well and am usually glad to be able to help others figure out how to do it too.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:30 am
Sorry, I don't know as I also haven't had to report any yet.
There is a list on that highered/tcert website saying what info you need to enter into the Teach system. The one you mentioned I would guess is a college/university, and you could ask them what to put as the provider name. I think CEU's are for certain fields that ask for it but if they are asking for hours then you put the hours.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:32 am
seeker wrote:
Sorry, I don't know as I also haven't had to report any yet.
There is a list on that highered/tcert website saying what info you need to enter into the Teach system. The one you mentioned I would guess is a college/university, and you could ask them what to put as the provider name. I think CEU's are for certain fields that ask for it but if they are asking for hours then you put the hours.

OK. Thanks. Will have to figure it out.

ilovegod

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:42 am
I am also having this issue. I do work for an agency who offers workshops. how do I go about recording it as my pd?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:27 pm
I took these classes and they were accepted:

http://www.thirteen.org/edonli......html

eta: they are free!

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:43 pm
I put into teach online system the classes I took and it accepted them. I was wondering if the system accepts anything and then someone reviews them to make sure they qualify, or if it will reject anything that doesn't qualify. Or if I can enter whatever I want and no one checks up on it, then it won't matter how exactly I enter it.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:10 pm
If you're working for the agency providing the workshops, I'd ask them what to put down. You record it on TEACH.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics