Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Freeze sugar cookies to ice & decorate later?

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 12:43 pm
Can I bake cookies now & freeze to decorate later?

I am planning to ice with royal icing.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 12:48 pm
My niece used to sell cookies decorated with royal icing. She would make a huge batch of cookies and freeze the cookies in large tupperware containers and pull out the cookies she needed each week to decorate. It seemed to work well for her.
I've never done it myself

oliveoil

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:45 pm
You can definitely do that.

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 2:04 pm
Thanks!

bubbebia

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 4:09 pm
Don't freeze the cookies once you've iced them. With royal icing it will start changing color and texture and will crack. Better off freezing them uniced and then icing them just before you use them.

allrgymama

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 4:48 pm
Royal Icing shouldn't be frozen for a long amount of time; you're cookies should be just fine frozen bare and iced just before.

Are you doing this for Mishloach Manos? I'm giving out cookie tic-tac-toe boards and I have a list of 50 people. It isn't realistic to ice them just before since we're 're coming out of Shabbos -- and I'm having a whole house of people for Shabbos, too.

I've been getting my cookies done in batches (and it is a LOT of batches) and freezing. Instead of doing Royal Icing, though (my initial idea), I picked up the Gefen Wonder Melts in the colors I needed, thinned out with vegetable oil (as recommended on the package) and decorated. They're going to go into the freezer and will do just fine (from experience).

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 5:45 pm
How long can I keep them at room temp if they are with Royal Icing?

oliveoil

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 6:14 pm
At least a week. But I would suggest using a glaze icing rather than royal. Royal icing doesn't taste very good. There are recipes that you can use the same way but the end result is much better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins