Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Freeze cupcakes?

nottelling

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 9:09 am
I volunteered to make cupcakes for a cousins shower. (I'm not sure why I choose cupcakes being that I never made fancy looking cupcakes before...)
The shower is in about three weeks, but with Purim coming up I don't want to wait until the last minute to make these cupcakes (since I don't really know what I'm doing and have to make like thirty of them)

So here's the question.... Do cupcakes freeze well? I want them to still taste awesome out of the freezer.. Will they? What about freezing them with the frosting already on top (I'm accepting all frosting recipes!!!!),or do I frost the cupcakes when I take them out of the freezer?
Or do I not freeze them at all and go nuts the night before the party?

Thanks!!!!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 9:27 am
Its very ok to freeze cupcakes. They taste the same when eating. Cover them well though. Frost them the night before sending them.

nottelling

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 2:09 pm
thank you!

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 3:17 pm
I'm not much of a freezing food kind of person (I'm one of the crazies that prefers to stay up all night the night before a party or holiday so I don't have to freeze foods), so I can't help you with that, but here's my favorite chocolate frosting recipe:

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (from Hershey's website)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

imamom7

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 3:54 pm
Cupcakes freeze beautifully in a big ziplock bag... I do recommend practicing with frosting but best secret is to buy the dunkin Hines frosting in a container it's ou pareve comes in every color tastes great is around $2 and is enough for 30 cupcakes...if u buy the Wilton bag and tips you just pipe the icing in a swirl on top

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 2:13 pm
I freeze cakes and cupcakes (and generally all baked goods), and sometimes even with frosting too. (Maybe I'm not very fussy, but I think it tastes the same once defrosted.

masalapeanuts

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 2:28 pm
You can make the batter and refrigerate it for like a week. This is what bakeries do for all of their muffins, scones, cupcakes, etc (so they can be baked fresh each day without needing to be mixed). You can also freeze the batter in the cupcake pan, covered. Let it come to room temp before baking or they will dry out in the oven. No, the leavening agent will not react in such a short amount of time.

I find that they do taste a bit different (dryer) when fully baked, frozen, and thawed, but it seems other people don't taste a difference.

I'm a former baker from a scratch bakery.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins