Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is a firstborn son a bechor if the mom had a miscarriage?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:10 am
DH and I were arguing about this.... is a firstborn son still considered the bechor if his mother suffered a miscarriage or stillbirth before he was born? Obviously, he would not have a pidyon haben, but would he still be considered a firstborn? AFAIK, a boy born by C-section doesn't get a pidyon haben either, but he would still be considered a bechor if he was the first child.

DH doesn't want to ask his rov about it.

grace413

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:18 am
While I'm frequently the last to say ask a Rav, I don't know what other options you have here. Without even pretending to give a psak, I think a child born after a full term stillbirth is not a bechor and regarding a miscarriage I believe it may depend on how far along the pregnancy was.

Is this a question that has practical implications for you at this time?

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:21 am
I think that if a woman had a miscarriage very early in the pregnancy then the couple still makes a pidyon haben.
I'm not sure how far into the pregnancy that is. This is definitely the type of question to ask a Rabbi!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:29 am
My oldest was born after a 16 wk m/c. No pidyon haven but still considered a first born in terms of fast of first-born before pesach. Not sure if that is what your asking about specifically or where else the issue of being first born comes into play.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:31 am
my mil lost her first baby within a few hours of birth, and got a psak from a gadol that my dh is the bechor.

not saying this is across the board psak, but it obviously does exist.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:49 am
My brother had pidyon haben in his late forties after it was discovered that my mother had a very early miscarriage (around 8 weeks)

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:57 am
I lost two pregnancies, both during the 1st tri., and were told that IYH with this baby we will be able to have a pidyon haben. I think the 2nd one only 'didn't count' because it was a blighted ovum, there was no fetus at all. It's about the size and age of the fetus, afaik.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 6:36 am
Pidyon Haben goes after the mother's first baby, while the rest of the halachos of a bechor go by his status as his father's child, and therefore there is no slam dunk correlation between the 2.

Besides for fasting, it also comes into play about yerusha...

I have definitely heard piskei halacha where someone who was ineligible for a pidyon haben was the bechor (and vice versa -- when it was the father's not first child but the mother's), so it's something that must be asked. It's not a shaila to feel any shame about when asking.

Tova

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 8:57 am
My husband was once the Cohen at a pidyon haben where the mother had a previous miscarriage and it was paskined based on the exact situation that a pidyon was needed but should be done in a quiet minimal way. The father of the baby was in our kollel, so on that day during bein hasedarim they gathered a minyan in the corner of the room, did the pidyon, and passed out some pastries. I'm not even sure the female relatives were present.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 9:09 am
I learned the way Hashem_Yaazor did.

Shuly

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 10:37 am
I had a miscarriage before my bechor was born. My miscarriage was at 10 weeks, but the fetus measured 7 weeks. Our Rav paskened that we should have a pidyon haben and mentioned that if the fetus would have measured 10 weeks, we would also have one, but without a bracha.
Since each situation is unique, you really have to ask.
If your DH doesn't want to ask a rav, you can call by yourself.

clowny

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 10:47 am
I recently heard about a first born son but a second child who had a pidyan haben bec his older sister was born via c section so that makes him a bechor. My question is- if the first born would also be a boy, who is the bechor??

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 10:55 am
That doesn't make much sense to this uneducated mind, clowny. C-section does not invalidate one's existence as a bechor of the father. It just doesn't make one the first fruit of the womb or whatever of the mother for pidyon haben...

Leahh

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 11:37 am
clowny wrote:
I recently heard about a first born son but a second child who had a pidyan haben bec his older sister was born via c section so that makes him a bechor. My question is- if the first born would also be a boy, who is the bechor??

That is very interesting and would like to hear a source or rav if possible. I had a girl via csection then a boy naturally. A pidyon haben wouldn't apply to me anyway because we are not yisroel but I am curious about this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions