Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Chosson kallah furniture package

piece

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 1:31 pm
bought chosson kallah package 2 years ago & everything falling apart.
the store says cant do anything about it since it's past the 1 year warranty.
it's alot of money just to last not even 2 years. any suggestions.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 1:42 pm
suggestion for what?

piece

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 2:31 pm
I'm thinking of taking them to small claims court!

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 3:50 pm
Sorry, but what legal grounds do you have to sue them? I realize that it must be frustrating, and I'm not denying that, but if something breaks 2 years after you bought it, why does the store owe you a penny?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 3:56 pm
piece wrote:
I'm thinking of taking them to small claims court!

Good luck with that.. unfortunately they have the right to sell garbage to unsuspecting customers. Small claims court is notoriously slow.. and the money you will pay in fees and such aren't with it for you. I'm sorry to say it, but there's really nothing to do.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 4:30 pm
I feel like there has to be something you can do. When they sell furniture obviously people buy it expecting it to last (if they present it as quality stuff, not from a discount-type place). Maybe mention you'll be making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? Or negative online reviews? Don't stores worry about potential bad PR from this sort of thing? It's in their interest to resolve this in a way that satisfies you. Or if it's a "frum" company (which I assume it is with a chosson kallah package but you never know) and they won't stand behind their merchandise I would ask a Rav for advice... maybe you can take them to a Din Torah? Or maybe I'm just naive...

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 6:49 pm
BBB is a good idea, and is probably your best bet. If they're very concerned about their reputation and are on Yelp, you could threaten to post your negative experiences, though if it's your first and only post on Yelp it often gets excluded from their main page until you've posted more. I don't see why a Din Torah would be different than small claims court; legally and halachically, I don't see where they did anything wrong and owe her a penny according to the letter of the halacha or secular law.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics