Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Number of dishes for main course on Fri night?

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:03 am
On Fri. Night I serve fish and salad, then soup, then mains, then dessert.

Usually for mains it is one big chicken dish, a secondary cheaper meat dish (e.g. wings/ground beef roll/pastrami quiche/meat pastries etc. where the meat can be stretched to serve many people), one cooked veg, and 2 carbs. Do you think that's enough for a main course with guests?

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:12 am
Sounds perfect to me.

vicki

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:29 am
Sounds wonderful.
I usually serve two options of everything except appetizer and soup: main meat X2 , kugel or other carbs X2, salads X2.
You've got that covered.
Oh and dessert. Kids always ask their parents (guests) what's for dessert in a stage whisper. I'd hate to say nothing.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:32 am
It sounds great. More than enough food. The only thing I might do differently is to serve the salad with the main course instead of the fish but that's just personal preference. I like to bring the salad out as a sort of intermediate course bt. the soup and the mains for people to eat while I'm getting the hot food organized in the kitchen and dealing with the soup bowls. Then again, we don't have a fish course before the soup...

etky

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:41 am
vicki wrote:
Sounds wonderful.
I usually serve two options of everything except appetizer and soup: main meat X2 , kugel or other carbs X2, salads X2.
You've got that covered.
Oh and dessert. Kids always ask their parents (guests) what's for dessert in a stage whisper. I'd hate to say nothing.

Actually, one of my kids who lacks any type of subtlety always ask me that just as soon as we sit down to the meal. Usually she'll then say something like "that's it?" or "Why did you make that?" especially if there's no chocolate involved. It's kind of awkward when there are guests embarrassed .

vicki

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:51 am
etky wrote:
Actually, one of my kids who lacks any type of subtlety always ask me that just as soon as we sit down to the meal. Usually she'll then say something like "that's it?" or "Why did you make that?" especially if there's no chocolate involved. It's kind of awkward when there are guests embarrassed .

It's not as bad at your own home as when you ARE the guests and she says that to the hostess. embarrassed

etky

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:59 am
vicki wrote:
It's not as bad at your own home as when you ARE the guests and she says that to the hostess. embarrassed

When she was younger I remember her saying "that's it?" or "I don't like (what ever was being served)" a couple of times when we were guests too. Those were indeed really cringe-worthy moments.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 5:09 am
1-2 main dishes, maybe more if we have company because I don't know what everyone likes to eat.

I always serve salad with the main dishes, and we don't have a separate fish course. (We do have fish as the main course sometimes.) We serve soup mainly in winter (unless it's gazpacho).

I prefer to put out all the food at once instead of breaking up the meal into courses. The kids get antsy, and that way everyone can see what their options are.

Dessert is mostly for when we have guests. If it' just us, we'll usually have fruit, sometimes with yogurt if we have a dairy meal.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 5:21 am
That's exactly what I do when I have guests. Only I sometimes add a lettuce salad in addition to or instead of the cooked veggies.

Without guests we started having only fish+salads and chicken soup. If I do make a main when it's just us it's usually just chicken+carb+maybe a cooked veg.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 8:20 am
One starter, one main dish with meat and a side or two, one dessert or equivalent.
Kids not allowed to comment badly. shrug

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 8:54 am
Thanks for your responses! I like the idea of saving the salad until main course. Maybe then I would individually plate the fish with a few lettuce leaves or noodles...

Great to hear everyone's ideas Smile

I have had a few little guests who like to make comments - but then again, we've had bochrim who've made similar comments, bless them!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 9:01 am
When it's just DH, DD and myself, I serve soup, a protein, a starch, a cooked vegetable, and fruit for dessert if anyone wants.

If we have immediate family sleeping over, then I add a green salad and bake something for dessert.

If we have real company, which is when I don't know what people like to eat, I serve soup, 2 mains (chicken and meat), a kugel and some other type of starch (rice, potatoes, or couscous), a cooked veggie and a salad, and fruit and something baked for dessert.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 9:15 am
I would consider it a chessed to very strongly answer to a bochur or maidel who made such comments. No bless them from me lol!. I would tell them this is unappreciated and unbecoming, and they better not treat their spouse that way later... and indeed, teaching them life is a chessed.

Blue jay

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 9:51 am
One meat dish, starch, veggie and dessert, avocadoe dip and zaatarr with challah
If there are guests I add a soup into the package.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 10:11 am
Kiddush

Challah

Fish with one or two salads (sometimes three if I am ambitions, but very rarely.) Sometimes a dip, which can just be olive oil with spices.

Soup

Chicken with one other cooked dish, usually vegetable or vegetable kugel. (Occasionally there might be a second vegetable dish or kugel, or even a starch like rice, but very rarely.)

Dessert (which is tofu lately.)

(Sometimes I might not have a fish course, and sometimes I might not have a soup course.)

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 10:12 am
Wow sounds plenty!

I usually make chicken kugel and a veggie such as green beans or roast potato. Thats it.
First course is fish and 2-3 salads and dips (only when guests, we skip this course if alone). Then soup, main and desset.

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 10:33 am
I think its kind of odd to serve the salad with the main course. I do it myself but only when I don't serve a fish course. mostly I do a fish (and dips) course and skip soup, some weeks I do dips, soup but no fish, very rarely both.

I serve chicken, (almost always) 2 or 3 side dishes (rice, kugel or potatoes, maybe something else) and green beans or another cooked vegetable. On yom tov I often do 2 types of meat but not on a regular shabbos. Most people like chicken, as long as there is a choice of dark or light meat.

I always make dessert as well.

I'd love to serve the meal as drmom does but you can't serve fish and meat together so it won't work.

(I have guests every week)

bubbebia

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 11:28 pm
I generally keep my main dish to one choice unless I'm having a huge number of people. I personally would also only have 1 carb and 2-4 veggie dishes because I would prefer to eat the veg than the carbs. We also don't do fish all that often either. If I'm having guests I might have something else like meat borekas or sweet and sour meatballs with a little rice. If I am doing fish I plate it with lettuce and some sliced tomato and cuke, maybe a couple of slices of avocado too. We also don't generally do dessert unless we have guests or I'm feeling really in need of something. Often it is fruit based because we all need cake like a whole in the head.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus