Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ukraine

sleepwalking

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 4:10 am
Can anyone explain what exactly caused this huge revolution? I just saw reports and it's horrifying!
And also is anyone here from Ukraine that can tell something?

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 5:05 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worl.....82823

The people want Ukraine to be like the US and Europe but the gov. whats to be more like Russia.

rachel91

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 5:21 am
The government in Ukraine is all messed up.

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 5:41 am
My cleaner is form there and she was so upset yesterday that she cancelled all her jobs for that day.

rachel91

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 7:02 am
rainbow dash wrote:
My cleaner is form there and she was so upset yesterday that she cancelled all her jobs for that day.

Really? My cleaners are also from there, didnt cancel..its mostly happening in the center of kiev.

devo1982

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 7:08 am
It still must be scary to not know if your friends and family are caught up in it. You never know - you might think you're "safe" and then you get a call saying that your cousin's son has been taken to hospital after being attacked. These things happen. My mother's cleaning lady is from Ukraine and was nearly in tears describing the situation the other day. She told my mother that it's terrible and scary.

rachel91

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 7:17 am
my husband is from ukraine, my very good friend is from kiev( her mum and siblings still live there) and I have some very close people there, they all say that they're fine at the moment, that most things happen in the center.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 7:37 am
rachel91 wrote:
my husband is from ukraine, my very good friend is from kiev( her mum and siblings still live there) and I have some very close people there, they all say that they're fine at the moment, that most things happen in the center.

That must be so frightening for them. Living through a civil breakdown is one of my biggest fears.

sequoia

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 4:36 pm
So basically, Yanukovych was saying for months he would sign an agreement with the EU. Then he changed his mind at the very last second. People went out to protest. It was a peaceful demonstration, on and off for months. Then he tried to clear it using violence. The situation escalated. At this point Kiev is a warzone, many people dead and thousands wounded. Berkut (special forces) are dragging wounded people out of hospitals and beating them to death. We are also seeing acts of heroism, with ordinary people donating blood, bringing medication and food to hospitals, and hiding wounded protesters in their homes so Berkut can't find them. I am terrified for and proud of my beautiful native country. My family is in the south where it is calm. I pray the violence ends immediately and the stupid, corrupt criminals running the country are replaced by wise leaders.

bluebird

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 5:55 pm
Hugs to everyone with family and friends in Ukraine.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 6:52 pm
My main concern is whether Russia would go for full intervention, both military and/or economically (eg increasing natural gas tariff to Ukraine). From what I understand, there seem to be somewhat of regional divides within the country, the western part which is more eager to align the country with EU vs the eastern part which is more aligned with Russia. A bit tricky esp on how to treat Russian minorities (eg include Russian as official language or not?) I'm not being optimistic here, remember the demise of the pro-western Orange revolution not so long ago?

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 6:56 pm
Right now I am reading that two Russian military vehicles entered the Crimea.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 7:02 pm
Now that the Olympics are over, Putin doesn't feel the need to act "nice."

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 7:43 pm
Tomorrow in Lviv (the west) everyone will speak Russian for 24 hours in solidarity with the south and east, and in protest against provocateurs and forces that seek to divide us. I think it's a fantastically touching gesture from a city long known as the bastion of Ukrainian nationalism.

We can be a strong, secure, diverse, multi-ethnic and multi-lingual country, with mutual respect. Russia will not divide us!

Yes, I have HOPE. Because during those horrible weeks on the Maidan, everyone stood together and died together. Now if everyone can work together...

bluebird

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 7:53 pm
sequoia wrote:
Right now I am reading that two Russian military vehicles entered the Crimea.

That is really scary. Russia will stop at nothing to "protect" Russian minorities in other countries that were part of the USSR, countries that it essentially colonized during Soviet times. Given that Crimea was historically *not* part of Ukraine, this could really descend into civil war quickly.

This is a really good article that explains the history of how the current situation in Ukraine came about, borne of deeper fault lines that Yanukovych in particular.

http://news.nationalgeographic.....ssia/
http://news.nationalgeographic.....tory/

sequoia

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 3:54 pm
By all accounts, Russia has invaded the Crimean peninsula.

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 01 2014, 6:48 pm
Crimea is occupied.

Daven.

War has come to my country.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 11:58 am
I heard that on the news ... scary

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 12:01 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/putin-re.....?vp=1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics