Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Please help me understand her.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:40 pm
My daughter was diagnosed with ADD, basically being inattentive and disobedient. She is also very disorganized and a bit socially off, meaning that she can interrupt a discussion when classmates are conversing privately. On the flip side, shes exceptionally bright bh. Very creative, personable, loves people, always intersted in others, knows a vast amount knowledge much more than her peers.

Shes 8 and she started taking medication last year. I always make sure to refill them b4 I run out of them. She took her last pill on Thursday and missed school on Friday sincs pharmacy didnt deliver.

Im telling you, she acted like a monster. She teases everyone, she didnt help at all and she loves to, totally out of touch with reality, was bouncing off the walls, acted silly and babyish. Shabbos was hell. Im wondering, if shes addicted to her medication?I dont remember her acting so out of.sorts at home and put her on medication because of pressure from her school. She did have issues at home, her room looked like a zoo, and she didnt follow instructions so well and some others. But, to act like this??? I thought she should get better not.worse! Can she control herself or did she become extremely addicted??!!

Im very disturbed!!

bluebird

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 4:10 pm
If a diabetic skips a day of medication and goes into insulin shock...

If someone who suffers from migraines skips their medication and has a migraine...

If someone with severe allergies skips their medication and spends all day sneezing and with a runny nose...

...would you say that they are addicted to their medication? Addicted like people who are addicted to alcohol or heroin.

No. People with ADD have issues with neurotransmitter levels in the brain. Stimulants like ritalin, adderall, etc cause the brain to emit more of these neurotransmitters, which soothes the brain and allows for normal thought processes and behavior.

Since she's a kid, maybe her brain will adjust. With behavioral training, she can learn to handle the symptoms better.

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 4:35 pm
when they take kids off meds it's a gradual process. are you doing behavioral therapy in conjunction with the meds? the therapy is a must in my book. this way, when she eventually gets off the meds she has tools in her tool box to cope with life.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 5:38 pm
It is not addiction, it is a normal response to being abruptly thrust into an unfamiliar challenge that you're not ready for. She will need to gradually re-learn how to manage her behavior at the right time.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 5:53 pm
Stimulant meds are not addicting, and leave the system by the end of the day. Seeker said it well.

What do you usually do over Shabbos? I pull my kids off stimulants on weekends and vacations, usually. It makes them more difficult to handle, but helps medication be most effective during the school week.

If you have a written schedule, and a reward system in place, that can help with home behavior.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:04 pm
I didnt think of taking her off medication. She does so well on it. I have to make sure this doesnt happen again.

I am totally not an adhd person (my husband is) that I cant imagine how she really feels when not on it. Thats why Im asking you to clarify. Ouch, I feel so bad for getting annoyed with her. Poor kid! I didnt scream or anything, just demanded her to behave nicely. We had guests over (davka this shabbos!) and I was mortified.
I even promised her a prize and as much as she is dying for it, she didnt behave. Shes nudging me for it. How should I deal with it?

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:06 pm
If she didn't earn it, you can't give it to her yet, but you can try to think of a way for her to earn it this week.

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:16 pm
I've found w. a DD who took ADHD meds for a while that yes, there is some withdrawal & cranky behavior when it wears off.

It is like if someone drinks coffee every day & then one day does not drink coffee & are very irritable-- so yes, not taking the meds one day & she could have a very "off" day.

When my DD was taking the meds, I tried to not give meds on weekends & over vacations, if I could deal with her behavior. Sometimes I would give her a 1/2 dose to manage at home without losing my cool with her.

& I found that yes, she did build up a tolerance to the meds. & when we were able to go through the summer with a much lower dosing schedule, she was able to start the school year on a lower dose.

Eventually, by being on the meds she was able to learn coping tools, more appropriate behavior with peers. She is still very energetic & the level of activity in my house is very high. I have learned to cope more too & appreciate her strengths.

Now she only takes the meds occasionally, though next year will be a new school & more challenging expectations so we are discussing starting the year with some meds to help her cope.

They are a tool. One of many. Some of your daughter's behavior right now is really not her fault & it is up to you to learn how to support her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)