Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken bottoms without sugar
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:18 pm
boysrus wrote:
wow, I did a double take when I read your thread title! chicken bottoms without sugar! I have never in my life cooked any chicken dish with sugar, chicken is savory only in my books. It must be a European versus American thing....

My chicken is a winner, I have made it this way throughout the many years of my marriage -
Clean and place chicken in oven proof dish
sprinkle with tiny bit of salt, lots of garlic powder and paprika

cover, bake 425 degrees for 30 mins, then 375 for 1 hr. you can uncover it for last 20 mins if you want

there, the easiest thing ever. and so delicious!

I had to look at your location.
Just about every chicken recipe I've seen in the weeklies seems to have gratuitous sugar added. (Gratuitous Sugar Chicken would be a good name for a rock band.)

spring13

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:35 pm
You can spread pesto on top and bake - maybe add a little extra olive oil if the stuff you have on hand is very thick. Cilantro and lime juice are an awesome combination as well - those frozen herb cubes are handy for that. And forty cloves of garlic chicken is pretty much the best thing ever.

I like to mess around with blending seasonings, but when I'm crunched for time and imagination I keep a couple of different spice blends around, either homemade or storebought. Pereg has good ones, I have a Weber roasted garlic and herb one now that's very good (it's similar to Italian dressing, just drizzle on some olive oil and shake on the spice).

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:36 pm
not to be a spoilsport, but the frozen herb cubes are not pure herbs. check ingredients when avoiding starches.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:37 pm
1. Sprinkle with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped fresh rosemary, minced fresh garlic and squeeze a lemon over it. Bake until done and the skin is crispy--about 25-30 min.

2. Blend soy sauce, sesame oil, minced fresh garlic and grated fresh ginger. If you can add a little honey or agave nectar that would be good too. Pour over your chicken and broil.

3. Blend soy sauce and orange juice with a little fresh ginger, fresh minced garlic and sesame oil and pour over chicken and bake.

4. Brown your chicken in a little olive oil on both sides in a skillet. Remove the chicken to a plate to rest. Add onions and mushrooms to the pan and saute until they are browned. Add in minced fresh garlic and chopped tomatoes, either fresh or canned, and simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and the sauce is thickened-about 15 minutes. Add in some chopped green or red pepper and some fresh parsley and basil and the chicken pieces. Cook in the sauce until heated through.

Hope this helps a little.

sped

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:44 pm
I do an easy stove top chicken that comes out really delicious: Put the bottoms in a pot, best if they fit in tightly. Cover with some pepper and LOTS of paprika. Cover and cook on a medium low flame until just done. Yum!

boysrus

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:46 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I had to look at your location.
Just about every chicken recipe I've seen in the weeklies seems to have gratuitous sugar added. (Gratuitous Sugar Chicken would be a good name for a rock band.)

that's funny pinkfridge. Yes, I am a european living in the USA, so most of my basic recipes come from my mother who cooks very European! I am one of those few people you know who doesnt like sesame chicken - chicken should be savoury, not sweeet!

etky

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 12:21 am
One of my favorite chicken recipes:
Over cleaned chicken bottoms, skin side up, sprinkle cumin, lots of paprika, orange juice and a generous amount of sliced onion on top and around the chicken. I also use onion soup powder but you will want to avoid that as per your restrictions so use a little salt instead. Bake covered for about half an hour and then uncover and continue baking for about another 45 min -1 hr. You can baste with the juices if you like.
Leftovers taste even better the next day.

busydev

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 12:34 am
I do similar to sped.
rub paprika into chicken. heat oil and yellow chicken in a frying pan first the top, then the bottom-abt 5 min per side. cut strips of pepper and onion on top of chicken. lower flame and add water to cover chicken abt 2/3 of the way. cover. simmer for 1.5 hrs. soft and yummy chicken.

lili

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 1:08 am
Slice onion and garlic. place chicken on top of it. season with salt, paprika, garlic powder, some pepper and cook and a LOW flame for about 2 hours.
it gets really soft and juicy. much better than in the oven!

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 2:22 am
This recipe is a winner in our family and whomever I give it loves it and tries it themeselves.
Easy as 123.
1. Clean chicken.
2. Place in baking pan,Cover well.
3. Place in oven on 250° for 6-8 hours.
(I sometimes put it on 200° for longer) and its heavenly delicious.
BTW for whomever is wondering I didn't forget to list spices because it doesn't need it.
Try it and enjoy!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 3:17 am
Regardless of how you season it, put a nice layer of sliced onions under the chicken.

Sauteed onions make almost any dish delicious.

mol

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 6:57 am
put a layer of onions in a pan on the stove put chicken on top then pour a jar of marinara. cook on a low flame covered for like 1 1/2 hrs.

also por a bottle of italian dressing and bake in the oven covered.

thelioness

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 8:06 am
Chicken with sugar, never happens, like boysrus said savory only.

Cutlets or bottoms go the same way - a bit of olive oil, drop of some sort of acid - lemon / lime usually or you can use vinegar, then flavor of your choice using different herbs and spices. Marinate a little while. Baked, roasted or grilled.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 8:36 am
Chicken bottoms are delicious without any effort or sweeteners, especially if you have good equipment. The following very simple recipe comes out best in a convection oven -- crispy skin, moist inside. I make this often for Shabbos.

Preheat convection oven to 450 degrees. Put chicken bottoms (or breasts or a chicken cut in 1/8ths) in an uncovered shallow pan -- foil pans are OK. Sprinkle heavily with Italian seasoning. Bake for 40 minutes. If you time this to turn the convection oven off shortly before Shabbos begins, and leave the chicken in the oven, it will still be hot and succulent when you sit down to dinner.

busydev

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:03 am
mol-marinara sauce and italian dressing usually have sugar...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:05 am
boysrus wrote:
that's funny pinkfridge. Yes, I am a european living in the USA, so most of my basic recipes come from my mother who cooks very European! I am one of those few people you know who doesnt like sesame chicken - chicken should be savoury, not sweeet!

Sesame chicken should be savory, not sweet. Wink

smss

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:10 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Sesame chicken should be savory, not sweet. Wink

PF, do you have a recipe for savory sesame chicken? I would love one.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:19 am
smss wrote:
PF, do you have a recipe for savory sesame chicken? I would love one.

I'll look it up, bli neder. I don't think it had added sweetener. I might be wrong. I know it probably won't fit the bill for OP here.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 4:14 pm
Thanks a million everyone! So many good suggestions here. I didnt really have a chance to look through all of it. But I did want you all to know I appreciate your help immensely.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey