Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Anyone uses the "Chic Made Simple" Challah recipe

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 5:19 pm
I tried searching here and I havent found it.

Would someone be able to post the "Chic Made Simple" challah recipe. I hear its very good.

TIA

SS6099

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 5:42 pm
It's fantastic. Will try to post later if no one beats me to it!

SS6099

Post Tue, Apr 29 2014, 10:24 am
Ok, as promised, I finally typed it up Smile

6 cups warm water
2 ½ oz fresh yeast
6 lbs flour
½ C sugar
½ C splenda
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
3 Tbsp kosher salt
5 oz oil
EGG WASH: 1 egg yolk, beaten with 2 drops of water
1. Combine 1 cup warm water with the fresh yeast and let stand for several minutes until it bubbles. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the flour, sugar, splenda, eggs, egg yolks and salt on low speed for several minutes. Add the yeast mixture, being careful to keep it separate from the salt. Add the remaining five cups of water and the oil and continue to mix on low speed until just combined. Increase the speed to high and mix for 10 minutes longer.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise at room temperature until doubled in size, at least 45 minutes. turn the dough onto a floured surface. Divide and shape according to preference. Spray baking pans with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle them with flour. Transfer the shaped loaves to the pans and let the loaves rise at room temperature until doubled, about 45 minutes.
3. preheat the oven to 350. Brush the challah with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake until browned and 1 ½ hours for large challahs and 1 hour for smaller ones. Yields 5-8 challahs.

smoms

Post Tue, Apr 29 2014, 2:55 pm
That's the same recipe I've been using for years (I use full sugar and reg. salt though) except I use 3 1/2 ounces yeast. Would that make a difference in the taste/texture?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 29 2014, 3:00 pm
More yeast typically equals more riding in less time and faster fermenting if you leave it too long.

smoms

Post Tue, Apr 29 2014, 4:14 pm
andrea levy wrote:
More yeast typically equals more riding in less time and faster fermenting if you leave it too long.

Thanks so much for replying. Does faster fermenting cause the dough to fall when left too long?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads