Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Cholent Alternative

mc

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 8:58 am
I'm looking for something else to make in the crockpot. When we have cholent, my kids just pick out the meat. I've tried meatballs but they alway come out very hard/seem overdone. (I do have a newer crockpot so I know the temp is pretty high even on low.) Any suggestions for tried and true kid-friendly cholent alternatives?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 9:06 am
What about yapchitz? It's basically overnight kugel with rows of flanken inside. I imagine it would be wonderful in a crockpot.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 9:10 am
I never make cholent. My family prefers soup. See this thread for recipes:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....04082

sped

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:16 pm
I have been using chopped meat recently and the cholent comes out great! I do it the sam eway, but first brown the meat and onions together.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:21 pm
Chili
Beef stew
Chicken stew

Barbara

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:22 pm
mc wrote:
I'm looking for something else to make in the crockpot. When we have cholent, my kids just pick out the meat. I've tried meatballs but they alway come out very hard/seem overdone. (I do have a newer crockpot so I know the temp is pretty high even on low.) Any suggestions for tried and true kid-friendly cholent alternatives?

Do you turn the crockpot to "keep warm" before Shabbat?

We do meatballs, meat sauce, ribs or chili.

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:49 pm
We make 'DIY soup' by serving everyone a bowl of beef broth, with the veggies and beef and rice in serving dishes that they can add to their soup if they want. Some just want a little beef with their broth, others want the veggies, usually carrots. Most everyone loves rice in their soup. I used to serve croutons/soup nuts, also.

I cook the beef and carrots together with water and spices. No braising the beef or anything. Very simple. Keep the veggies large until serving them. Oh, I also throw in chick peas, which they love.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:57 pm
Dafina? Osso bucco?

ElTam

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:10 pm
Nobody in my family really likes cholent. We do soups or chili.

ally

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:15 pm
We do chicken and rice and my kids love it.
It also takes about 5 seconds to put together - 1.5cups of rice, a whole chicken on top, salt, pepper and some water. The chicken is so soft the bones fall apart (you have to be a little careful of them) but the skin gets crispy and depending on your crockpot/amount of water, the rice at the bottom of the crockpot gets crispy too.
Mrs Bissli has posted a recipe for the same idea but with a spice rub for the chicken which is also delicious. I think it is called teebeet.

L25

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:26 pm
how much water per rice? When do you put it up and at what temperature?
Thanks

bubbebia

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:53 pm
We also don't do cholent. I do soups like chicken soup that I serve with pre-made noodles, vegetable soup, mushroom barley soup and we also do beef stew that I serve over pre-made noodles or rice, or a good chili with lots of veggies and beans. Most of the time I can't get ground beef so I use ground turkey. It's lower in fat and just as delicious, but make sure whether you're using beef or turkey to brown it first with the onions and garlic.

ally

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:10 pm
L25 wrote:
how much water per rice? When do you put it up and at what temperature?
Thanks

A few cups? It shouldn't cover the chicken, maybe it comes about 3/4 of the way up?
I put it up right before shabbos in the crockpot on auto. (I have no idea what that actually does). I think there are some more exact recipes on here - try doing a search. Or experiment. It's hard to mess it up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics