Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Can I use just chicken legs to make soup?

mommy24

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 9:39 am
Just checked my freezer and see all I have is chicken legs, I usually put a chicken, cut in 1/8. I imagine I can use the legs, but will it somehow affect the soup, May be taste. Thanx

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 9:42 am
mommy24 wrote:
Just checked my freezer and see all I have is chicken legs, I usually put a chicken, cut in 1/8. I imagine I can use the legs, but will it somehow affect the soup, May be taste. Thanx

Sure. You can also make a fine tasting soup with just bones, wings, etc. What else do you put in? Vegetables, any herbs, etc.?

mommy24

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 9:54 am
Thanks pinkfridge. I put in veggies, onion, carrots, parsnip and zuchinnis and just salt and pepper. Everyone always liked my chicken soup, it's simple but yummy. I used to use bones, but then realized my husband and kiss like the chicken from soup, so I started using whole chickens cut up. Just want sure if using the legs, instead of whole chicken, would somehow change taste.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:00 am
I almost always use just legs, because they're cheaper here. Sometimes just thighs. And it comes out delicious (if I do say so myself) Very Happy I find the main thing isn't which part of the chicken you use, but the quantity of chicken in proportion to the water. Also the right vegetables and seasoning. So if you like how your soup normally tastes, then whatever the total weight is of the chicken you usually use (including any bones), be sure to use an amount of chicken legs that weighs around the same.

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:04 am
shouldnt change the taste.... go ahead make it and say "lekovod shabbos kodesh" its the best spice available!!

actually I have my huge pot cooking right now.
2 bags chicken wings
4 large carrot
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
a few pepper balls
salt

its a12 quart pot

if you let it cook for 6 hours app. its beautiful golden soup.

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:21 am
I only use chicken legs and it tastes great.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:21 am
any part of the chicken aside from the feathers will make soup

ButterflyGarden

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:26 am
I also only use legs and it comes out great!

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:27 am
Absolutely you can
Happy cooking

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:32 am
I use chicken quarters, bones and vegetables

supermom3

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:38 am
mommy24 wrote:

We don't like boiled chicken and a chicken is much too expensive to just throw in the soup. I usually use the bones from the shnitzels taken from my chicken, but there are a lot of times I just put soup powder in. A lot of vegetables and it's great too

mommy24

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 11:43 am
Thanks everyone for your help.

smiledr

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:12 pm
I use bones bec I think it gives the most flavor. Every fri I take the wings and spine from the cut up whole chicken and put in the freezer and when I'm ready to make soup I toss the whole bag in. Once I made a turkey breast on the bone for dinner then used the skin and bones for soup - it made an incredibly rich soup.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:17 pm
smiledr wrote:
I use bones bec I think it gives the most flavor. Every fri I take the wings and spine from the cut up whole chicken and put in the freezer and when I'm ready to make soup I toss the whole bag in. Once I made a turkey breast on the bone for dinner then used the skin and bones for soup - it made an incredibly rich soup.

Foodies roast the bones first for added flavor.

smiledr

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:39 pm
I guess I'm not a foodie Smile

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:46 pm
smiledr wrote:
I guess I'm not a foodie Smile

I think I tried it once. Not worth the effort, and not necessary. There's so much more oomph to our soups than the typical chicken soup/broth recipe, IMO.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:15 pm
just use 4 full bottoms (thigh+drum) in place of 1 whole chicken.

mommy24

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
just use 4 full bottoms (thigh+drum) in place of 1 whole chicken.

That is what I did, I guess I will see on Shabbos if the kids notice a difference.

bubbebia

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:42 pm
Of course you can! That's all I ever use. Makes a richer broth. Very delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics