Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Spanish eggplant recipe?

spinkles

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 8:05 pm
Does anyone have a good recipe for the dip that Sabra calls Spanish Eggplant? I know I ate it a lot in EY but I can't remember what it's called there. Basically it's strips of eggplant fried or sauteed and then put in a slightly spicy tomato sauce. Thanks!

happy12

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 8:18 am
Bump

Yeah I know I am not the OP however I would love to make it for Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 1:58 pm
See Mrs Bissli's basic recipe.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....t=tin

You can add red peppers to the sauteed onions and garlic. You can season with tomato paste, red wine and balsamic vinegar, paprika, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes...

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 2:06 pm
This is the recipe I made up last week: sautee a chopped onion, diced garlic, and diced red pepper and eggplant in olive oil. When everything is soft, add a few tomatoes chopped up. Season with salt, paprika and pepper. If you like it spicy, add a diced jalapeƱo pepper or hot paprika. Let it simmer for a long time unless it reduces to a nice thick sauce. Turn off fire and add a tablespoon of vinegar.

It was yummy!

Last edited by MaBelleVie on Fri, Feb 21 2014, 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 2:09 pm
You can also make something like this and skip the last step of pureeing in the food processor.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....plant

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 4:25 pm
Well if it is dip-like, it would be close to what ra_mom had kindly posted as the recipe for caponata (which is Italian btw).

The actual Spanish eggplant is not dip-consistency and involves strips or slices of eggplant floured/battered then fried, just tossed in light dressing involving lemon, tomato paste and chopped salad onion.

For serve as a part of appetizer salatim for about 8-10 people,

2 large or 3 medium eggplants, top cut off, cut into 1" slices then into strips
1 egg
About 1/2 cup flour or matza meal
oil
1 bunch salad onions (ie scallions), top & tailed, sliced
juice from 1 lemon
2 teasp sugar
1 tbsp. tomato paste (double concentrate)

Sprinkle 1 tbsp. (this is not a typo) salt over eggplants, leave for about 15min, drain and rinse extra salt and brownish liquid. Beat an egg and dip eggplant pieces. Coat them with flour or matza meal (seasoned with salt and pepper). Heat just enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet. Fry eggplants in 1 layer (not overlapping), stirring occasionally till they're cooked through. Set aside and repeat if needed (you may have to add a bit more oil). In the same pan, add salad onions and suatee very briefly (maybe 30sec) till they're wilted. Add the remainder of the ingredients, mix well. Tip fried eggplants back in and coat well. Serve at room temperature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics