Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Trailer - Megillas Lester

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 11:48 am

Last edited by amother on Sat, Jan 16 2016, 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 11:58 am
The animation is a bit uncanny-valley (low budget = dead eyes), and the voice acting is a bit amateur, but the concept is refreshingly different for frum entertainment. I'm always supportive of trying something new, even if the experiments aren't always successful.

I wonder if alternate histories are assur. I can imagine types with no sense of humor finding it offensive.

I also wonder if the female characters are voiced by men for tznius reasons (I've seen that in the past on tapes that weren't marketed for women only).

I hope the writing is good. That's what would make or break it for me. VeggieTales started with low production values, but great songs and clever writing made me an early fan.

doctorima

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:15 pm
It looks refereshingly cute and creative to me! I hope it's well done, and would love to hear reviews from anybody who sees it in full.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:14 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
The animation is a bit uncanny-valley (low budget = dead eyes), and the voice acting is a bit amateur, but the concept is refreshingly different for frum entertainment. I'm always supportive of trying something new, even if the experiments aren't always successful.

I wonder if alternate histories are assur. I can imagine types with no sense of humor finding it offensive.

I also wonder if the female characters are voiced by men for tznius reasons (I've seen that in the past on tapes that weren't marketed for women only).

I hope the writing is good. That's what would make or break it for me. VeggieTales started with low production values, but great songs and clever writing made me an early fan.

From the trailer, it seems is if the "alternate history" takes place in a dream, so I don't understand what the problem would be.

The female characters are voiced by females:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt35.....dits/

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:19 pm
I definitely did not watch the whole thing but it looks like a lot of work went into it. My son watched the trailer and interview clips and it kept him mesmerized for hours. He keeps asking me to buy it for him.

Shuly

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:27 pm
The Behind The Scenes videos are fascinating:

http://www.megillaslester.com/......html

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:35 pm
Shuly wrote:
The Behind The Scenes videos are fascinating:

http://www.megillaslester.com/......html

Thanks! This was really cool!

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:36 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

I miss the old VeggieTales.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:38 pm
sequoia wrote:
I miss the old VeggieTales.

YES! I'm a VeggieTales hipster...

dimples

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:01 pm
It looks really cute cant wait to buy it for my son Smile I think it's about time they did stuff like this for the frum world!

Hehe, haman sounds like snape!

self-actualization

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:30 pm
My whole family has been waiting with bated breath and we plan to watch it online on Sunday night IY"H as a special "movie night" treat.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:32 pm
self-actualization wrote:
My whole family has been waiting with bated breath and we plan to watch it online on Sunday night IY"H as a special "movie night" treat.

Great idea! I forgot to mention that you can rent it online for $3.99. I guess they wanted to make it the same cost as any other movie on Amazon or whatever.

http://rent.megillaslester.com/

Last edited by amother on Sat, Jan 16 2016, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:38 pm
agreed haman sounds like snape the the background music brings harry potter to mind as well

self-actualization

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 10:00 am
Update - we all LOVED the movie. My husband is very technologically savvy and liked the effects, especially the Haman motion capture dance. I liked the Jewish references such as the Kolrom logo scene where there is a large shofar and small sound (that's from High Holiday davening) and the other ideas (such as "so rare"="sorer hayehudim"). My kids just viewed it as any cartoon film but one with a Jewish message, and they caught the Wizard of Oz idea that the people in Lester's neighborhood showed up in the film. We all highly recommend this movie.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 10:38 am
My daughter saw it yesterday at a friend's house. She enjoyed it, didn't find it scary (she's 5, and has no experience with these type of movies -- so I wasn't sure if Haman as an evil man would be scary for her). She didn't tell me much, so I'm not sure if it wasn't such an exciting thing for her, or it went over her head...

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:10 pm
I just saw it and really enjoyed, some cute puns in there

Tova

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 10:46 pm
We borrowed the DVD from a friend, I watched and really enjoyed. My kids seemed to like it yesterday when they watched but when I asked them if they wanted to watch again today before we returned it they were not at all interested (and they can watch our wedding video time after time). Technologically and in terms of the story line it was really really well done. My only hesitation is that I didn't love all of the language, even though it was the "bad" people saying it (ie, "Scram!" "You frozen falafel head") etc. etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:27 am
Thanks for mentioning that, Tova. I've had a lot of issues lately with insults and language I don't approve of (even if it's clean) and I don't think my kids need to hear any more ideas....

Tova

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:56 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Thanks for mentioning that, Tova. I've had a lot of issues lately with insults and language I don't approve of (even if it's clean) and I don't think my kids need to hear any more ideas....

Yeah, I didn't know if I had an oversensitivity about it (which isn't a bad thing) and like I said, I DID offer to my kids to watch it a second time. I wonder if I should pass along feedback in case another film is in the works.

But I do have to pass along some of the funnier parts: Zeresh calling the kids for dinner, calls all 10 in one breath the way we lein the megillah.

Achashveirosh's horse died and they called, "any doctor in the house? Any Dr. Suess? (Sus=horse). And many more. Most of the writing is great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics