Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Pizza Dough WW and No Sugar

thankyou

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:09 am
Hi,
Im looking to make pizza but it needs to be whole wheat and no sugar at all. I find that the only good ones I've made so far had yeast in them and the yeast needs sugar to rise, no?

Can anyone help me? I've searched a lot online but couldn't find anything that looked promising.
TIA

smss

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:11 am
would you use honey or silan instead of sugar? when I use instant dry yeast with either of those, it rises fine. I don't know if it would work with something chemical-based like splenda, though.

I use a regular pizza recipe and just put in about 1/2 to 1 cup less flour when I use whole wheat. whole wheat flour is denser so you don't need as much.

thankyou

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:14 am
smss wrote:
would you use honey or silan instead of sugar? when I use instant dry yeast with either of those, it rises fine. I don't know if it would work with something chemical-based like splenda, though.

I use a regular pizza recipe and just put in about 1/2 to 1 cup less flour when I use whole wheat. whole wheat flour is denser so you don't need as much.

No, its for a diabetic person so no honey or anything like this either Sad
Thanks so much for posting though!
And it's really good to know about whole wheat- never occurred to me and makes a lot of sense.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:21 am
This is my go to recipe. We like it alot. I use spelt flour instead of the white.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....izza/

sky

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:40 am
I make the bread machine recipe from Joy of Cooking cook book. There is no sugar - I don't think most pizza dough have sugar.

3 3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups water

I mix mine in the bread machine.

I also replace the flour with white whole wheat. just a little less. But nobody in my family likes it as much.

bubbebia

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:24 am
Why ever would pizza dough have sugar in it?

3 cups flour
1 cup warm water
1 TBS olive oil
1 pkg dry yeast

Mix it all up in a bowl, need until smooth, spray the bowl with a little cooking spray and turn the dough in the bowl so it is covered with a little of the oil, cover with a towel and let rise. Takes about 30-45 min until a finger stuck in the middle of the dough leaves an imprint that stays. Punch down, split into 2 pieces and form into your pizzas. This makes 2 medium pies.

PS. You can freeze one of the balls.

thankyou

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:56 am
sky wrote:
I make the bread machine recipe from Joy of Cooking cook book. There is no sugar - I don't think most pizza dough have sugar.

3 3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups water

I mix mine in the bread machine.

I also replace the flour with white whole wheat. just a little less. But nobody in my family likes it as much.

Well actually every single pizza dough recipe I looked up online had sugar in it (is it an Israeli thing maybe?). I figured the reason was because yeast needs sugar to grow /rise .

Can I make this recipe without a bread machine (hands)?

And thanks everyone I will have to try these recipes ba hope they come out as yummy as my usual go-to one (that has sugar). I really appreciate the help!

sky

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 12:46 pm
It can be kneaded by hand.

I think it makes about 3 pizzas. Maybe a bit more or less. I just made it last night but only made 2 pizzas and put the rest of the dough in the fridge.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:06 pm
take any recipe you like & replace the flour from white to whole wheat ... then leave out the sugar ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals