Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do u watch baby every second? Baby crawling around popcorn

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 6:47 am
How to people with older and younger kids baby proof the house? My baby just started crawling and he puts everything into his mouth. My older kids were eating popcorn and some fell on the floor, and he was about to eat popcorn- a real chocking hazard! And I found a lone grape in the corner of the floor of the kitchen, even after warning everyone that grapes are very dangerous for the baby. I've found tiny onion peels in his mouth that must have fallen down while I was cooking.

Short of watching the baby intently every single second, what do you do? If I take my eyes off of him he will find something like an onion peel which totally blended into the floor, so I thought the floor was safe for him. The other day he found a hard mint little circle candy behind the kitchen door that I keep open all the time, so I don't think to check for things there.

I'm so scared of him chocking.

deena19k

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 6:49 am
If you have that type of food in the house, then yes, you have to watch every second. Now that my baby started crawling I stopped buying popcorn and nuts. My older kids complain, but that's life.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 6:53 am
First of all, I definitely think that one has to be extremely careful when there are both older and younger kids around. Sweep the floor as frequently as you can, try to limit and regulate the consumption of choking hazards (maybe they can eat the popcorn outside, or in one area that you can sweep afterwards, etc.) and take a course in infant and child CPR so you will know what to do if CVS the unthinkable does happen.

HOWEVER, once you have done what you can, I don't think it is healthy to worry about it so much. It says in tehilim "shomer pesaiim Hashem" -- "Hashem watches over the 'foolish'" -- there are many who explain this to be referring to young children who have a special shmira from Hashem -- because that is the only way they would really make it through childhood!! Or as my wonderful babysitter used to say (an older Sefardi woman who babysat my kids in my house) -- "there's a special malach protecting babies". Do the best you can, but realize that ultimately Hashem is the one protecting them.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 6:54 am
Have the older kids eat by the table and sweep right after they finish

Sweep after cooking and right before you put baby down on floor

MMCH

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:03 am
when my baby started crawling, I started sweeping like a mad women.
while big ones ate, I basically swept at the same time.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:12 am
I would not have popcorn in the house or grapes
you can not be to careful
to many horror storys in my community

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:32 am
well you have to clean up thorougjly. I had succh a baby and had to make a mental note whenevr I spilled something, to clean it up right away. Toys with small parts are only played on the table. or u use a playpen. Or u designate an entire room as a crawling area and baby proof it. That is, if u have enough rooms for everyone else.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:35 am
either stick the baby in a playpen

or

sweep the floor - a lot !!!

bubbebia

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:29 am
Let the baby crawl around. But make the kids sit at the table to eat. And just clean up around them when they are finished. That way they don't get into the habit of walking around with food and your Pesach cleaning becomes a whole lot easier.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 9:30 am
I sweep a lot. Basically after every snack and kids can only eat in the kitchen.

Seriously, legos and other teeny toys are a million times harder to keep track of!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:15 am
Yes.... sweep the floor before you put him down. I put my baby in the exersaucer if there's too much going on on the floor.

you cant be too careful... I put him down with some toys & left the room.... came back to find he had found some pom poms among the toys I had forgotten about.. nissei nissim! It's so scary. You just can't be too careful. I'm choking-paranoid. I keep checking his mouth every time he makes a chewing sound. he likes to eat paper! anything!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics