Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of this?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:00 pm
I went shopping in a kosher supermarket earlier today. I needed to buy 20 oranges for m"m, and the specific ones I wanted were priced by the piece of fruit rather than by the pound. I packed 2 bags with 10 oranges each and filled a shopping cart with various other items I needed.

When it came time to check out, the cashier rang up the oranges as if I had bought 2 instead of 20. I tried to point out the error, but she insisted that she had entered the right code into the system. I felt like an idiot standing there telling her that she was undercharging me, holding up the line, and not getting through to her. I was about to give up and just pay so that I could bring my cart over to the customer service area to explain the problem when I saw a manager. I waved him over and explained the issue. He checked the price, and sure enough I was right. So he turned to the cashier and told her to charge me for the other 18 oranges and then walked off.

Now, I wasn't exactly expecting him to comp me the 18 oranges for doing the right thing, but a thank you would have been appreciated. I wonder if it was just a personality thing or if what I did was not out of the ordinary for a kosher store. I wonder if I would have gotten a different reaction in a non-Jewish store.

What do you think?

amother because I've discussed this in real life

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:28 pm
Just had a similar issue at a cosmetics counter in a non-Jewish store. They messed up my purchase, and upon fixing it up (I paid in full for everything I bought) the clerk threw in a whole bunch of promotional freebies. (Some of which, I wasn't even eligible for, since they were based on purchases of specific items)

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:33 pm
I think you just came across the wrong person.
I've had similar encounters, and the store owners were very appreciative.
I guess that manager who helped you just had no manners or tact?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:49 pm
The manager may have been angry at the checker for the mistake (it could be one mistake in a long line of them, you don't know.) Either that, or maybe the manager has problems with social skills.

It's a bummer when people don't say thank you. In cases like this, just let the good deed be it's own reward, and know that you did the right thing.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:59 pm
OP here.

You are right. I don't know why I'm letting this bug me. I know I did the right thing. I could so easily have walked out after making a good faith effort. And we're talking real money too, not just a few cents.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:08 pm
Oooh, my fave game, Let's try to be DLKZ. Being a grocery manager is a tough and thankless job. The hours are terrible, you're constantly being interrupted to "put out fires", you can't get good cashiers, you're responsible for everything but you get paid less than the butcher who is your employee, and you're slaving away to enrich the owner, who lives in Detroit and has so many businesses he doesn't even remember he owns this one.

Now you have some lady dragging you down to the checkout when you're trying to verify the day's incoming deliveries against the invoices. She's insisting that you charge her for 20 oranges instead of 2. her argument with the cashier is holding up the line, and you saw at least three customers who walked in, took one look at the line and walked out. Let's say the oranges were $1 apiece. She saved you $18--if the oranges were 50 cents apiece, the savings was only $9-- and cost you how many dollars in lost sales? Not to mention that you will have to start the delivery reconciliation all over again, which means you've just wasted the last half hour. plus, this cashier is not the swiftest, and this is the fourth time this morning that she's needed you to rescue her.

The manager may have been wishing that you'd just accepted the oranges.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:21 pm
OP here.

That's an interesting scenario Zaq. Except that it was a large supermarket (NY area) with multiple checkout lines. And the manager was just standing around, no papers in his hand or anything like that. And there are multiple managers in the store, or supervisors, or whatever you want to call them, so the burdens of running the place are shared.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:30 pm
Some people are just jerks. At least you get to go home and not deal with him. Imagine his family.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
Some people are just jerks. At least you get to go home and not deal with him. Imagine his family.

Wow.
People don't auto turn into jerks from a one time experience. Do not yet pity his family.
It could be he was having a hard day, or was super annoyed at this worker, or at his job. Who cares.
His behavior was not the greatest, but hey, doesn't make him a jerk.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:56 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
Wow.
People don't auto turn into jerks from a one time experience. Do not yet pity his family.
It could be he was having a hard day, or was super annoyed at this worker, or at his job. Who cares.
His behavior was not the greatest, but hey, doesn't make him a jerk.

Highly unlikely it was a one time thing. Very rare bad behavior is isolated.

pizza4

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:57 pm
Yes, he should have thanked you properly.

Remember that your mitzva is now stronger since you did not get appreciation.

Happens. There are all kinds of people, many don't have such great middos.

From now on you will be more careful to thank people.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 9:01 pm
OP, he played it very cool and downbeat, and nonchalant, so as not to humiliate the cashier. That was correct behavior. He was also mortified on behalf of his store, that they had made a mistake.

But this is core: he was beyond furious at the cashier, and had to walk away to hide that. He was too angry to say a word to you.

A few more goofs like that and he wouldn't have a business. As you say, it was a serious amount of money. There is no reason to think it was the only time. And he may have understood that she actually resisted your attempts to clarify to her.

There, there. You did well. Good for you.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 4:33 am
IMHO, I think it's worse for the women on here to call a stranger names for not saying thank you then the manager actually not saying thank you. Not saying thank you, does not make a person anything, but not polite. Like others said, be dl'z.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 6:15 am
yo'ma wrote:
IMHO, I think it's worse for the women on here to call a stranger names for not saying thank you then the manager actually not saying thank you. Not saying thank you, does not make a person anything, but not polite. Like others said, be dl'z.

Especially a woman who called the man a jerk under her brave Amother screen name block.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics