Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Healthy Tiramisu Cake Roll (Dairy Free)

AZmom09

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 10:47 am
See the post for more info plus a link to step by step pictures.

Healthy Tiramisu Cake Roll

For the Cake:
2 eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 c honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet (I used my actual oven sized tray) with baking paper and spray well with oil.
Beat the eggs and egg whites till frothy and pale in color. Then add in the honey and vanilla. Blend just for a few seconds to combine. Add in the whole wheat flour and baking powder and stir till combined.

Pour the mixture onto the baking paper lined tray and smooth out with a spatula so it is evenly distributed.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until it is no longer wet when touching. Do not let it get more than slightly brown.

Pull the baking paper off of the pan and roll the cake with the baking paper still on it, from one side to another. You should roll it from the shorter end.
Let it sit as is, till it starts to cool.

For the Cream:
1 can coconut milk (21% or up)
4 Tb maple syrup (you can use more if you'd like it sweeter)

Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
Pour the coconut milk into a bowl and using a beater or kitchen aid etc. blend till it starts to fluff up and stiffen. Once you lift up the beater and the cream no longer falls off, add the maple syrup and blend once more.

For the Coffee Drench:
about 3/4 cup warm water
2 Tb instant coffee (I used decaf)

Mix together the water and coffee till it is dissolved.

To assemble the cake:
Unroll the cake and slowly start to peel the cake off the of the baking paper. If it starts to break and is sticking to the paper too much, use a spatula to help scrape/pull the cake away from the baking paper.
Once you are sure it is all off the baking paper. Take a fork and poke holes all over the cake. Then use a pastry brush (mine is silicone) to pat the coffee mixture all over the cake. Every part of the cake should be soaked with the coffee. You can use as much as you'd like. The more you add to the cake, the more coffee flavor it will have.
Then take about 1/2-3/4 of the cream mixture and spread that evenly all over the cake.
Slowly roll the cake just as you had done before. When you finish rolling it, try to make the seam side down. You want it smooth on top.
Now decorate the top and sides of the cake with more cream and add some shaved dark chocolate on top.

I like to cut the ends off so it looks nice and neat, plus they are perfect to "taste test."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics