Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Fasting on one's wedding day - halacha or minhag?
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 2:51 pm
that's a good question ... but aren't they too nervous to eat anyways

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:01 pm
Yea. But some juice and candies could help going through the day.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:05 pm
As someone else already mentioned-I believe it is an Ashkenazi custom and definitely not halacha. My husband is Sephardi and we did not fast.

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:13 pm
worldpeace wrote:
"JUST" minhag?
Even if something is just minhag doesn't make it any less important than Halacha
In fact "minhag Yisroel Torah hee"
It's very important

Ask your rav
Imamother is not a rav
Why would someone ask that here @ all ?
Every woman here is from a differ wt community
What applies to another woman will not necessarily apply to you

minhag yisrael k'din hu I think is the quote.

gold21

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:55 pm
zohar wrote:
If the wedding is on rosh chodesh or in Nissan, one is not allowed to fast. Also most people who have a hard time fasting don't or break it after an early mincha. I don't have trouble fasting, so for me it was no big deal.

We got married in Nissan luckily, so we didn't fast B"H!! I remember eating that morning, I think I had a coffee yogurt for breakfast and I may have had pizza bagels for lunch Cool. Then I didn't eat again til after the wedding.

I was pretty thin and I think I would've really been weak if I had fasted.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:02 pm
It's a minhag, probably related to the fact that one''s wedding day is like a mini Yom Kippur. To the poster who said she doesn't know anyone who fasted and had it turn out well spiritually or physically, speak for yourself. For anyone who is a good faster it's just fine. Or at least it was back in the Dark Ages when I got married. Of course, back in the Dark Ages you didn't have to be at the hall eight and a half hours before the kabbalat panim.

And may I ask what you know about other people's marriages, spiritually speaking?

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:06 pm
greenfire wrote:
that's a good question ... but aren't they too nervous to eat anyways

The skinny ones are. When they're happy, they can't eat. When they're nervous, they can't eat. When they're sad, or upset, they can't eat. The zoftig ones, otoh--when they're happy, they eat. When they're nervous, they eat. When they're sad or upset, they eat. That's why these are skinny and these are zoftig.

busydev

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:33 pm
hmmmm I fasted the day of my wedding as did dh. we both fast well and were fine.
weirdly tho... we got married in nissan (4 days after pesach)... dont think we even thought to ask...

Volunteer

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 11:04 pm
It's definitely a minhag. Our Rabbi (Sephardic) specifically told us NOT to fast, saying that it is not the Sephardic custom, and we will need energy to fulfill the mitzvah.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 3:46 pm
I know people who did not fast (and, of course, more who did). I know of a case where someone did not fast because she would become extremely anxious (anxiety attacks, etc. which are not wanted on a wedding day) and the Dayan told her that someone should fast instead of her... Again, each person would need to ask her own shailah.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions