Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
London Amothers

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:59 am
Native UK person here, looking to move back from the USA.

We are looking for somewhere out of the Hendon/GG area. We were considering Borehamwood but rumor has it that (not sure which) the Shul is in a bit of a dodgy area and that women have been given heters not to use Mikva Friday night because of the area the mikva is in. No idea if true or not- totally heresay... So, looking for info on that.

We also have many friends in Edgware, but I am nervous that Edgware might be a bit too religious for us (we have move to much more LWMO over the years out of England).

Any other areas with young, modern families that we should be considering? Open to anywhere that is more reasonably priced than Finchley/ GG/ Hendon etc.

shoeboxgirly

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 10:50 am
I live in Borehamwood and haven't been told that about the Mikvah PM me if you want to chat about the area. I'm not the only amother that lives there.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 6:05 pm
Another borehamwood imamother here. I've also never heard of shuls being in unsafe area or heter for not going for mikvah on Friday night. The local mikva is in the main shul, and for Friday night appointments the mikva lady and other women (usually only 1 or 2) almost always walk together. There are shortcuts that are narrow passageways that I don't use after dark.

For the record I think there are now 6 miniyonim in the area, 2 shuls and 1 shtiebels outside of the eruv. We are relative newcomers and love it here, it's really a warm and welcoming community, with people inviting one another (regardless of which shuls you go to) and delivering meals for new mothers for 2 weeks. I find it less clique-ish than other NW London communities.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 5:31 pm
I'm American and lived in London. I lived in the Hendon/GG area and really didn't like it. Part of it was cultural, a big part was being an outsider, which won't necessarily be an issue for you, but part was that I was LWMO in a very American/Israeli way that didn't quite work in those areas, for me. Just wanted to put that out there. If I were to move back there I'd look at other areas of London, even if it means being without an eruv.

Have heard nice things about borehamwood.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 8:33 pm
Live in Hendon and would really recommend Borehamwood to you!.

Many different types of people there, with shuls to accommodate LWMO. Mikvah is not in terrible area, Borehamwood is a suburb with lots of public and ex public housing, so built up, but not especially rough or dangerous. I know lots of happy families there, with different types of orthodox groups, mixing much more than in other areas, have attended Purim seudas where seated with women who do and dont cover their hair, send kids to single relations orthodox schools or co ed local jewish schools. Far less judgemental than Hendon or Golders Green, less snobby than Finchley or Temple Fortune. Other areas to consider like Stanmore or Muswell Hill quite pricey, whilst Edgware although mixed religiously is not that cheap or so fabulous an area. Anon as dont wish to offend my local friends!!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 8:35 pm
Live in Hendon and would really recommend Borehamwood to you!.

Many different types of people there, with shuls to accommodate LWMO. Mikvah is not in terrible area, Borehamwood is a suburb with lots of public and ex public housing, so built up, but not especially rough or dangerous. I know lots of happy families there, with different types of orthodox groups, mixing much more than in other areas, have attended Purim seudas where seated with women who do and dont cover their hair, send kids to single s-x orthodox schools or co ed local jewish schools. Far less judgemental than Hendon or Golders Green, less snobby than Finchley or Temple Fortune. Other areas to consider like Stanmore or Muswell Hill quite pricey, whilst Edgware although mixed religiously is not that cheap or so fabulous an area. Anon as dont wish to offend my local friends!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating