Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Yerucham?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 9:25 pm
Anybody know anything about Yerucham - or specifically the chardal or torani community there.?
I am looking for information about the torani community, rabbanim, schools, yeshivas etc.
Also, could you tell me what it is like as a place to live?
Does anyone speak English there, how is the quality of life?
Did you feel very much in the thick of things during the recent rockets/attacks in the south?
Looking forward to any responses, thank you!

Newly in Negev

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 1:45 am
Hi there,

I live in Beer Sheva and during Emud Anan, my husband's work put up any employees who wanted to escape the rockets in the south in the youth hostel in Yerocham. We spent 4 days there, and though I don't know anything about the religious life on the Yishuv, it seems like a very safe, quiet, beautiful place to live. They have not had a single siren.

The views are gorgeous, and walking around I saw a wide variety of people- haredim, sephardim, dati leumi Jews, secular Jews, as well as religious muslims. One thing that I did notice was that there was no hechsher in the dairy section of the supersal, which I believe is the main supermarket there.

I also know there are big tax incentives for living there.

Good luck with your decision!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 10:22 am
HI this is OP

Thanks for your response, newly in negev! I appreciate it,. I kind of thought that maybe I would find someone on imamother who lives there, to whom I could direct my questions, maybe through pm. if anyone knows of any poster who lives in Yerucham, could you please direct them to this thread, thank you!

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 11:26 am
I do believe there's a poster that lives in yerucham, I just don't remember who. Maybe she'll see this now that it's bumped.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 9:19 pm
BUMP

Anyone live in Yerucham or have information about it? Please?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 11:19 pm
I live in Yerucham. The torani community doesn't have a rav, afaik, and they are not chardal, they are mainstream DL, and/or LW/feminists. There are very few "English speakers" but many people do speak some English. We are out of rocket range, no sirens. The school is DL, definitely not chardal, but good. The yeshiva tichon is good. The schools allow mesorati kids in, and are very 'open and accepting'. The Hesder may be more chardal, but I'm not sure. And other than that, I am personally not involved with the community here, as I am busy with family, so I don't really know the people. Many are young DL families. I enjoy that the library has an English section, the parks are pretty, and that there is a lake on one end, and a maktesh (crater), at the other end. Dimona is 13 minutes away. The central bus station in Beer Sheva is 25 minutes from here. Dead Sea is less than an hour. Mitzpe Ramon is an hour.

Now, OP, why do you ask? Why are you amother?

SavtaHelen

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 1:37 am
My son and his wife live there; he is part of the yeshivat hesder. It is a very warm community and many of the men stay on there after they finish their obigations to the army. The town is very clean and well kept; we have visited for Shabbat many times and there is quite a religious atmosphere, although it is not the same as living in closed yeshuv, which benefits from no cars whatsoever.

There are not many Americans, and my only concern is that it would be very difficult to make aliya to a place where more likely than not you will not find other olim going through the same processes as you.

If you would like to pm me I will give you my son's phone number and you can ask all your questions.

Good luck, and Welcome Home!!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 9:47 pm
Hi there, this is the OP!
Thank you so much for your responses, I appreciate it so much! It is not easy trying to find out about communities in Israel with only the Nefesh b'Nefesh website to work from.

Savta Helen, thanks! So you are saying that there are not usually any olim to Yerucham. That would definitely make it difficult for us to adjust, especially with our kids, and no schools having experience with olim, etc, and I guess there would be no ulpan. OTOH, it sounds like such a nice place to be, beautiful adn a nice kehilla. So, I guess you have lived in Israel for many years, and your son and DIL are Israeli too. I just checked out the hesder yeshiva website, and I really liked the sound of it. Would you call the yeshiva DL or more chardal? If we want to look further into it, I will B'ezrat Hashem PM you for your sons number, do they speak any English at all?

To the amother who lives in Yerucham: Thank you very much for your response, you included a lot of useful and interesting information, I appreciate that. Just wondering, why do they have an English section in the library if there are so few English speakers? Would you say that you are one of very few native English speakers? What brought you and your family to Yerucham?
I am a little surprised by your final question - I thought it was obvious from the questions I asked in my original post that we were wondering about it as a possible home for our family, especially seeing as I wrote the thread in the Aliyah section. I apologize if that was unclear. Also, why are you surprised that I am amother? I believe it is permitted to be amother on this forum, and I am sure you will understand that as we are keeping our aliyah plans very quiet at this early, exploratory stage, I do not want to use my screen name considering that there are several people on here who know me IRL and know my SN. I do not need all my friends demanding to know why we are planning aliyah etc....

BTW, any other information will be gratefully received, thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 10:24 pm
Now I understand why you're being amother on this, thank you for the explanation.

The LW feminist DL community was started many years ago (40 years ago?), by americans. Many of them have moved on. Some of their adult kids stayed in Yerucham.

At the Hesder, many of the young men are children of English speakers.

The charedi community also has children of English speakers.

And Yerucham has a program called "Miami - Yerucham" where every year we get a group of volunteers from Miami who come here for community service.

So maybe this explains the library.

There is an ulpan here in Yerucham, and it is very good, actually. Small groups, excellent teachers.

The nefesh b'nefesh website gives you two contact names, and both of those people have been here a long time and can tell you more accurate info.

The scenery is beautiful, the location is fun, the weather perfect, and the people are so nice. Most people here will speak to you in English. Do a youtube search, as there are many videos online.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:39 am
Does anyone have an update? My SIL looked into Yerucham... mostly because NBN was pushing it as part of their 'Go South' campaign. DH is wondering if it would be a good place to live. We are already in Israel, but contemplating moving for reasons of money... and also because of community.

We would want to have a good number of English-speakers in the community.

I wonder if anything has changed since the first few posts... now that NBN is pushing Yerucham as somewhere for new olim to move to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions