Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Giving tips to the babysitter

Do you generally tip your child's babysitter?
Yes  
 37%  [ 6 ]
No  
 43%  [ 7 ]
Other. Please explain.  
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

mandr

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 10:40 am
Do you tip the babysitter at all? I am wondering if it's customary or not. A babysitter watches my baby every day while I'm at work. I know people tip teachers but do they give to a babysitter as well since I pay her out of pocket (not like a school where the teacher gets paid from the school itself). If I am giving a tip, it will be given now for Purim with the Mishloach Manos we're giving her.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 11:01 am
When I used a drop off babysitter I gave a gift card with the mishloach manos. I know in my community it's pretty standard.

mandr

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 11:02 am
mommyhood wrote:
When I used a drop off babysitter I gave a gift card with the mishloach manos. I know in my community it's pretty standard.

What kind of giftcard? Like a visa card? Or to a specific store.

pause

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 11:03 am
Either a nice gift along with the mishloach manos or a tip (whatever was easier for me!)

morah

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 11:04 am
It's standard to tip a non-Jewish babysitter around Xmas/New Year, so I think it would be appropriate to tip a Jewish sitter for one of our holidays. Which one, I don't know. Personally, if I were getting a holiday bonus, I would want it for Pesach. Maybe ask her what she'd like. I think you should give her MM either way- just add her to the list of whomever else you're giving to.

mandr

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 11:45 am
We are anyway going to give her Mishloach Manos. If I give her a tip on Purim then it's really for Pesach. I mean, it will help her to pay for Pesach expenses...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:04 pm
What else?
No, I don't tip people except certain jobs like a waitress (if her job was good). I certainly do not tip a sitter, a make up person, a teacher... and davka in some cases it will be taken as insulting.

mandr

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:05 pm
Ruchel wrote:
What else?
No, I don't tip people except certain jobs like a waitress (if her job was good). I certainly do not tip a sitter, a make up person, a teacher... and davka in some cases it will be taken as insulting.

Insulting??

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:09 pm
Yes. Some jobs consider themselves "professionals". Would you tip a doctor, a lawyer, your home architect? Insulting.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:09 pm
mandr wrote:
Insulting??

In many countries tipping is not done, and yes, can be seen as offensive.

The whole tipping culture is very hard for a lot of non-Americans (myself included) to understand.

ShirleyTemple

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:19 pm
I gave a tip on Chanukah and now for purim again. I gave $50 each time.

My sitter is very dedicated bh and kids love her. I feel I owe it to her.

Also, she's buying my kids an expensive $45 kids book so its almost an even exchange. But we both did what we did without knowing the others intentions.

smiledr

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:28 pm
My sitter gets a weeks pay and money for gifts for her kids before x-mas. A weeks pay is standard for full time help in this area .

sky

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:59 pm
I tip my daughters babysitter - she is in a group - about $25.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 2:09 pm
mandr wrote:
What kind of giftcard? Like a visa card? Or to a specific store.

I gave a $50 target gift card. Target is a 2 minute drive from where I live and almost everyone I know shops there so I see it as a pretty safe choice.

abaker

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 2:13 pm
I voted other since I dont feel its required but if she was great, & my kids were happy I would give her a giftcard with her mishaloch manos and a short note thanking her for __. (whatever she does thats above & beyond her job or what my kids love about her as a babysitter)

amother

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 2:27 pm
as a drop off babysitter I do not expect anything but its is fun and cute to see the kids dressed up Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics