Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
This weeks mishpacha

booboo24

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 11:07 pm
left me with a bad taste in my mouth...reading about the "upper echelons" of Satmar society, who has more money and gives more tzedakah........it caused an uproar in my shul and the consensus was it was in poor taste. If the article just focused on the tzedaka aspect and not who gives it and how much they are worth it would have been better....

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 11:52 pm
It upset me very much. It was too subtle to be a Purim spoof, but honestly, that would have been the only appropriate category for it.

Maya

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 12:38 am
It was in very poor taste, and more suitable for a gossip rag than a magazine of such standing.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 12:42 am
DH gets v. annoyed at any feature about a rich person. He wants to know why they're trying to be People Magazine. Ami does it too sometimes.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 12:42 am
I thought it was ridiculous! Really, who cares who are the Satmar philanthropists and how much they have and give... I was taken aback. (And I'm satmar, although admittedly from the 'other side', but it wouldve bothered me if it were my own Satmar just as well.) The whole article kinda baffled me.

Maya

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 12:48 am
And the fact that they have communal standing because of it did not sit well with me, either. Even if we all know that's how it is, to actually put it out in the open like that was a bit too much for me.

booboo24

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 8:27 am
I know that there are tons of sat at tzedakah organizations they should've just focused the article on that and how they run.....not who gets the winning bid to accompany the rebbe to Israel...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room