Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Don't call me mom
Previous  1  2

do you find it
offensive  
 21%  [ 12 ]
flattering  
 17%  [ 10 ]
neither  
 61%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 57

gp2.0

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 3:07 pm
Honestly I wish I could call my Shviger by her first name because shviger is such an ugly word and Ma...well she's not my mom. But first name basis is considered disrespectful. So I just call her Uh. Wink

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 5:05 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Honestly I wish I could call my Shviger by her first name because shviger is such an ugly word and Ma...well she's not my mom. But first name basis is considered disrespectful. So I just call her Uh. Wink

see I'm with you right there ... 'uh' 'heyyou' 'mrs. _____' now that would be funny ...

as I wrote in the daffynitions now wonder a in-law is never liked especially if you call them 'shver'

tzi iz shver tzu zein a shviger

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 6:00 pm
This is all so strange to me.
No one I know calls their in-laws mom/dad or ima/abba or anything of the sort. It's all first name basis.

I really would not like to call my in-laws mom/dad. IMO that's a very personal, intimate term, and I would find it very difficult to use with anyone other than my parents.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 8:27 pm
My heart warmed with joy when my son in law addressed me as Ima for the first time. I verified that his mother has no objection. Though I would never think of myself as his mother, I am fiercely proud to be his Ima.

bookworm10

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 9:22 pm
I feel like when you get married, you are becoming one with another family. Your MIL should be "like" a mother because she raised your husband, and vice versa. Though it is sometimes hard because its unnatural, I don't like it is offensive at all.

happy12

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 11:23 pm
I call my IL Ma & Ta. Mommy is reserved for my mother.

starmarket

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 11:38 pm
black sheep wrote:
I personally don't think it is a big deal at all.

on the other hand....
"don't call me daughter, not fit to, the picture kept will remind me"

okay, I didn't really have a point there, your title just reminded me of that song....

Pearl jam reference on imamother? This day rocks. Smile

lavender_dew

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 8:46 am
This is a really awkward topic in my family - my SIL's husband calls my MIL "ima" (they're Israeli), but my DH calls my mom by her first name. I rarely call my MIL anything at all, which is so uncomfortable... because I feel like everyone's looking at me like a traitor or something if I call her by her first name. Yet I cannot feel comfortable calling her "ima". Just don't think it will ever happen.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 9:03 am
When my brother got married his kallah asked my mother if she can call her ma-mommy. My mother wasn't sure and told her she will let her know after the wedding. Then she ended up agreeing to it. Now they have such a wonderful close relationship. They are almost like mother and daughter.

It was so different with my mil. My husband is almost the youngest in a large family. They all call my mil shvigger. It is such a cold and awkward nAme. I think I said it 3 times in the 7 years I'm married. And that's exactly what my relationship is like with her. Not bad at all, but kinda cold and awkward.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
My heart warmed with joy when my son in law addressed me as Ima for the first time. I verified that his mother has no objection. Though I would never think of myself as his mother, I am fiercely proud to be his Ima.

See, I'm my own kids' Ima. And I would find it really strange if their future in-laws wanted to be called by that term. Not that there's much danger of that, here in Israel.

In any case, there aren't really many other terms in Israel for mother besides 'Ima' so it's not like you can call your real mother Mom and your MIL another term.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette