Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Thoughts for Purim Next Year!

boysrus

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 5:13 pm
Just wanted to share my thoughts about MM for next year. (I am kind of hoping that next year I will find and re-read this thread before I decide what to send for MM)

A disclaimer: I am not at all ungrateful for any MM that I received that did not fit the criteria that I am laying out here. I am not an ungrateful person ever BH! I am just feeling that as a worldwide Jewish community we give way too much business to the candy manufacturers etc.:

1 Any homemade baked MM , if it is large like a full cake or bag of rugelach, is great , because it can go into the freezer to be eaten on the next two shabbosos when we have had no time to bake because we are busy planning/cleaning for Pesach.

2 Any homemade small items often end up getting thrown away in my house, becaue they either look less appetizing, or because they get crushed, lost, labels lost etc. Now I know to never make individual cookies and cupcakes to give away for MM,...

3 Any candies that have been taken out of their packets and put into pretty little containers, end up getting thrown out in general, because who knows whose kids have been touching those?! (except for chocolates of course!)

4 Milk chocolate is always the best!

5 why o why dont we just all give two useful food items in our MM??
this year I gave a bottle of juice and a can of fruit, and feel that it was useful and healthy! we dont need our houses to be filled with garbage!

6 of course,wine and grape juice is always useful!

There, just my thoughts. My dream Purim is a purim where everyone gives MM of two useful items, no candy except for chocolate. Oh yes, and btw, Pesach food is the best!

there, I just shared my thoughts, please let me know what you feel in retrospect about MM.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 5:56 pm
I like getting small baked goods. In my parents house, we served it as part of the dessert. We went to a carnaval and my friend gave me mm which contained a few cookies and raisins. The cookies didn't make it home Very Happy . Raisins on the other hand, got a few of those and no one here are greats fan of 'em.

myself

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 6:01 pm
I like stashing away the kosher l'Pesach chocolates for erev Pesach, that way the ever-tempting pile of junk gets a little smaller and we know there's some good stuff to look forward to once there's nothing left.

Btw, I agree with you that small homemade stuff is simply unappetizing. If it's from family it's okay, otherwise I mostly give it a pass. DH on the other hand is a different story. LOL

November

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 6:51 pm
In our house we like the homemade dips, cookies, muffins, salads, soups. Those often do not last past Purim day. I like when there's something healthy that comes into the house on that day of nonstop noshing.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:36 pm
boysrus, you forgot to mention things like salads, soups, vegetables and dips, kugels. Personally I love these my only concern is when I dont know how long they have been unrefrigerated.

Roots

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:06 am
op, I agree..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics