Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Haman---how loud?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 6:27 pm
For the megilla reading you went to, how loud was the wiping out the name haman and for how long did they make noise?

At night we went to our regular shul and it's small with hardly any young people. It was loud during haman because my dh bought the loudest noisemaker when he was ny Twisted Evil . For the day we went somewhere else and the baal koreh said only make noise for the first and last haman. Boy, that was loud and it was only from hands and feet because I guessed only twice, they wanted to make the best of it Smile .

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 6:30 pm
We have a women's kriah in my house. Minhag by us seems to be to pound as loud as you would like three times on the table or stomp your foot three times for each Haman. Leining takes 40 minutes that way. LOL It isn't quiet, but it is quick and well coordinated. Wink

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 9:39 am
Not so long or noisy. Rather young crowd, lots of North African, def on the MO side.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 9:43 am
DD covered her ears with her hands and declared, "Human hurts my ears!"

Chalk one more evil act up to the Amaleki dude. Very Happy

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 8:11 pm
There are at least two synagogues I know personally that POSITIVELY frowns upon people making noise over Haman's name if not outright banned, as they take the mitzvah of hearing every word very seriously. Maybe gentle tapping of armrest/bookholder is tolerated but you risk getting a serious stare if you smuggle in a groger.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:07 am
Yes. I notice some ashkenazi shuls not liking it, and I read it is the same in Judeo spanish crowd.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:15 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
There are at least two synagogues I know personally that POSITIVELY frowns upon people making noise over Haman's name if not outright banned, as they take the mitzvah of hearing every word very seriously. Maybe gentle tapping of armrest/bookholder is tolerated but you risk getting a serious stare if you smuggle in a groger.

Or they repeat the name before going on.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:15 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:

Every place I've been repeats Haman after the noise ends, to ensure that it was hears fully.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:36 am
MBV: Pins on you!

Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics