Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Neighborhoods in Maale Adumim?

CP123

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:56 pm
Hi!

We (myself + husband + baby) currently live in Jerusalem, but are looking to move somewhere outside Jerusalem (needs to be close by because I work in Jerusalem and we don't have a car). We want some place that has city conveniences, but is a little calmer than living in Jerusalem proper, and has more of a community feeling (which we have not really found in Jerusalem). We were thinking about Maale Adumim, as it's a nice city with all the conveniences, but more relaxed than Jerusalem. The only thing is, we feel that Mitzpeh Nevo is really not for us (we have both relatives and friends there, and have spent a lot of time there over the years).

We were wondering if there might be other neighborhoods in Maale Adumim that we be a good fit for us:
We are chardal/dati torani. We are in our late 20s/early 30s, with just a baby. I am originally American, but my husband has been living in Israel since he was little. We want a community of young families that has at least some or many people who are torani oriented (chardal/dati torani), and we don't want to live in a place where everyone is the same (another reason why we though MA would be good). The community doesn't have to be specifically an Anglo community (in fact, we do not want a community that is an Anglo majority), though at least some Anglos would be nice.

Does anyone think there is a neighborhood in Maale Adumim which we would fit into? Suggestions for other places are ok too.

Thanks ladies!!!

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:58 pm
pm marion. I think she lives somewhere other than mitzpe nevo - or if not, I am sure she could tell you m more info.

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 4:58 pm
Come join us in 07 (Nofei haSela)!

You sound like us 8 years ago...

Wanna come for Shabbat to check us out?

CP123

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 3:51 pm
Wow, thanks so much, Marion! In theory, we'd love to come over and check out 07, but in reality it probably won't happen until after Pesach some time. I'd be happy to be in touch with you then. Can you tell me a bit more about the neighborhood in the meantime?

Also, any other neighborhoods anyone thinks would be suitable?

Thanks again!!

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 6:53 am
Not sure what you need to know.

There are about 30 ganim in the neighbourhood; 5 are Torani, another 4 are "regular" mamlachti dati, leaving around 20 that are chiloni/mamlachti. That breakdown (about 1/3 frum) works for the whole neighbourhood. There is one main Ashkenazi shul and I've heard there's a 2nd one in the newer part of the neighbourhood, but I know nothing about it. 5 Sephardi shuls. And a new Chabad minyan too. I think we have a core group of about 30 English speaking families (2 new ones in the last month!). And there's quite the French speaking community as well.

What exactly do you want to know?

CP123

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 3:46 pm
Hi Marion (and anyone else),

A few questions:
1) How big is the neighborhood of 07? What percentage is religious? Do you feel a sense of community there?
2) Where do the religious kids from 07 go to elementary school? Maale haTorah? Sde Chemed? Somewhere else (is there somewhere else)?
3) Is there a Rav for the 07 neighborhood or an active shul Rav? If yes, what is he like (or who is he?)?
4) How pricey is it? What kinds/sizes of housing are there (apartments, attached houses, etc)? Are there things available to rent/buy?
5) Think we could manage 'קךך without a car? I know 07 is a little further out from the center, but I presume that there is good bussing into Jerusalem, as well as within Maale Adumim. Are things in walking distance (supermarket, kupat cholim, post office, etc)?
6) Is it safe enough for somewhat older children to play outside by themselves?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help us get to know your neighborhood better!!

catonmylap

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 11:08 am
We're in Nachalim.

We've got a nice chevre in Nachalim/Kli Shir/Mitzadim. My crowd is a little older (30+) , but everyone is very welcoming, and lot of of us have very little ones..

There is a big group of DL/Torani young Israeli families at our shul. There are 2 Ashenazi shuls, both a short hop over the bridge in Kli Shir.

The neighborhood is very central to everything. It's definitely doable without a car, and certainly without 2 cars. I usually leave my car at home, as gas is way more expensive than bussing, and the public transportation is really good.

We are right near central park, and a short walk to the mall, library, kupat holim, swimming pool. The older neighborhoods are cleverly designed with lots of walking paths and green areas between buildings. There are bridges and tunnels so kids can get around without crossing streets (if they aren't lazy about walking a little farther.)

Marion

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 2:06 pm
A few questions:

1) How big is the neighborhood of 07? What percentage is religious? Do you feel a sense of community there?

It's the largest neighbourhood in Ma'ale Adumim. I don't know exact numbers, but I'd say about 20-30% are religious. There is some sense of community; stronger among the (overwhelming) Sefardi majority.

2) Where do the religious kids from 07 go to elementary school? Maale haTorah? Sde Chemed? Somewhere else (is there somewhere else)?

Some go to Ma'ale haTorah. Some go to Yefe Nof (07 equivalent of Sde Chemed). Some shlep to Sde Chemed or Tzemach haSadeh.

3) Is there a Rav for the 07 neighborhood or an active shul Rav? If yes, what is he like (or who is he?)?

No. There are two city rabbanim. The rav in Ma'alot David (not to be confused with Ma'alot LEDavid in Mitzpe Nevo!) is pretty active.

4) How pricey is it? What kinds/sizes of housing are there (apartments, attached houses, etc)? Are there things available to rent/buy?

Not so many rentals, but lots available for sale. From 3 room apartments and up, although the majority are 4 room (3 bedroom) and up. Duplexes (townhouses or penthouses), cottages, "du-mishpachti" (semis?) as well.

5) Think we could manage 'קךך without a car? I know 07 is a little further out from the center, but I presume that there is good bussing into Jerusalem, as well as within Maale Adumim. Are things in walking distance (supermarket, kupat cholim, post office, etc)?

We don't have a car. Bus service is one of the reasons we chose Ma'ale Adumim over other places. 07 has its own postal outlet, a few mini-markets (bigger than a makolet but smaller than the big chains in the mishor/mall). Mall is a 25 minute walk from my house without the kids. Clalit has a branch in 07; Meuchedet did until recently and is looking for a place to relocate the one they had to close.

6) Is it safe enough for somewhat older children to play outside by themselves?

What's your definition of somewhat older children? My 8 and 6.5 year olds are allowed out by themselves...within our enclosed (gated) parking lot with all the neighbour kids and the adjacent ("private") park.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help us get to know your neighborhood better!!

CP123

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 1:47 pm
Marion: Thanks so much for your answers- they were really informative (and quite to our liking). Two last few questions: (1) Youth groups - what youth groups are there in 07? Are they separate or co-ed? (2) You mentioned an active Rav in Maalot David - is that the Ashkenazi shul near you?

Catomylap: Thanks for replying! Is the religious and/or Anglo community in yoru area spread across the 3 neighborhoods you mentioned (Nechalim, Mitzadim, and Kli Shir) - what I'm asking is whether they are all one big community or each has its own community but there is a lot of crossover? Also, I'd love it if you could take the time to answer the 6 questions I posed to Marion about 07 a few posts back (5th post from the beginning), but answer about your neighborhood (not about 07) so I could get to know a little more about your area too!

Thanks!!!

Marion

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 2:05 pm
Ma'alot David is a Sephardi shul. The Ashkenazi shul is Moshe Dayan...and we don't have a full-time rav.

Youth groups: Bnei Akiva. Some girls walk to Ariel on Shabbat, but the local one is Bnei Akiva. Mixed, I think (none of my kids is old enough yet). But not 100% sure. There's an Ezra in 06...

sara0b

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:32 pm
Hi! I just made Aliyah from USA to 07 in Maale Adumim. Probably can't answer all your questions in detail as we've only been here 2 weeks Smile
but we like the location we've chosen so far!
You're welcome to come visit whenever!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions