Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Rebbi's drinking on purim

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 12:13 pm
Would like to get your thoughts on this. My teenage son was invited to stop over at his rebb'is during purim seudah. the rebbi warned there may be alcohol on the table, but it was not for the boys. The rebbi did not warn the boys that the other rabbeim that were there for the meal would be "plastered". my son came home so disappointed and disillusioned that these men he once looked up to could really go so far as to lose all inhibitions. he was so embarrassed for them he called my husband with in 15minutes of being there to come pick him up.

I knew they drank a little- of course its pPurim just like at any simcha most people have alittle something- but not to appoint where one will embarrass themselves. We are still yiddin and should hold ourselves to a higher standard. Not sure if there is anyone in the administration to discuss this matter with. just very disappointing and feel so bad for my son.

bubbebia

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 12:29 pm
Kudos to you and your DH for teaching your son that this is not how to celebrate Purim. I must say, that B"H they didn't offer to your teenage son. I've seen too many times when even the kids were encouraged to participate, all in the name of "proper" Purim celebration. Just disgusting. I am so grateful that my DH and thus my DS don't share in this way to celebrate.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 12:57 pm
Your ds sounds like a real mench (sp?). Nachas!!

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 2:01 pm
I am so sorry OP, I hope this wont affect your son long term as to how he relates to his rebbeim. I am so grateful that my 14 yr old son did not want to go to the rebbeim for their purim seudah...

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 2:39 pm
op here- B"H, DS is very special. One positive thing he did see was the rabbeim came with their wives- so none of them would be drinking and driving. I don't know where the idea of getting so intoxicated came about. really there are only 4 mitzvoth specifically written about for Purim. None of them is drinking and there is even a rambam that discusses how inappropriate it is to be drunk and one should not get drunk on Purim. So there is an"out" why don't they use it??
If I were one of the wives of the rabbeim I would have been mortified.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 3:14 pm
Face it, a lot of people will get drunk. Used to be that the sod that would come out when the yayin entered was a bit more elevated. (Anyone remember the story of a "simple" fellow named Baruch Mordechai in The Heavenly City?) It does sound like there was a lot of responsibility there and if your son focuses on that he should easily regain respect for his rebbeim.

BTW, many yeshivos davka send the h.s. bachurim home for Purim as they want them under their parents's supervision. Those of us whose kids go to an in town yeshiva are a bit more challenged....

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 3:17 pm
My thought was that if you are going to go over the top- don't invite the boys!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics