Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How many megillah readings were there in your community?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 3:07 pm
At our seuda, someone mentioned that in our small yishuv, there were 21 readings (day and night together)

I really never understand why a community can not organize a second and even a third reading so that everyone can hear the megillah how it is supposed to be read!

SplitPea

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 3:12 pm
Within a 10 minute drive I am sure there were readings in the hundreds.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 3:27 pm
I have no idea because we have several shuls, but there were 2 or 3 in people's houses for women by women. We have a large cadre of young MO community-activist types, which accounts for that unusual number. What remains to be seen is whether this phenomenon will become a regular thing or if it'll be just a flash in the pan.

Your community may be particularly blessed with a high percentage of people who know how to read megillah and possess kosher megillot. Or, because it's a small yishuv people may feel a greater connection to their neighbors so that they're more willing to put in the effort for the beneft of others. My own shul had 3 or 4 readings in the morning, and if I'm not mistaken there were 1 or 2 men who volunteered to go to the hospital/nursing home to read for people there. But to have a whole lot of readings at different times yu need either a whole bunch of men who are able and willing to read at those times--not everyone will be pleased to interrupt their own activities to do a later reading--or a few men who are willing to read over and over and over for multiple readings, which is an even bigger imposition. On Sunday it's less of an issue, but when Purim is on a weekday and people have to go to work or school, it's not so easy to find people able and willing to do a later reading.

Liba

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 3:50 pm
I can't even start to count, though if there were less than a thousand I would be shocked. We have a kriah (for ladies) by us at 9:30pm and another at 11:45am. Both times that worked for me when I had small children and B"H still work well for me now. Smile

granolamom

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 3:55 pm
so many I doubt I could count.
there are also many men in my community who offer their laining services to people who are unable to get to shul, so lots of megilla readings happening 'off the grid' so to speak.

busydev

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 6:42 pm
in my large city-hundreds. in my smaller neighborhood (the yeshiva community) there were (that I know of) 5 by night (1 official, 4 for women in ppls houses) and 5 by day (2 official and 3 in houses)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:21 am
Depends how you define.

For someone who only counts "in walking distance", a neighbourhood may well have 0 or 1 even with a shul. There's one by my parents in walking distance and it's not in such close WD for, say, an older person.

If you drive, and there are several kehilot nearby, you can also have dozens.

In my community and with a car, kah, I can't count. All day readings at restaurants, several at the many shuls, 1 or 2 at the mishtes... most probably private readings I didn't hear of

m in Israel

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:31 am
Within a 5 minute walk tens or even more. Within the wider neighborhood literally hundreds. (Pretty much every shul has at least 2 night readings and two day readings, and there are over 100 shuls. Then there were tons of private readings in people's houses.)

My experience is that most established Jewish communities, even those that are "out of town" have multiple readings.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:12 am
there are only three men (and one woman) who can read megilla in my town. One was away this year. At night I think there were two simultaneous megilla readings. In the day there were four at various different times and locations.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:19 am
1000s

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:24 am
I think that would be hard to tally up ... especially if there are many unknown readings in people's private homes not to mention the secret la leche leagues in the dungeons

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:20 am
I guess most of you who answered live in big cities so there are lots of readings.
I asked this question because every year the same post comes up that they "have to" bring their children because there is only one reading. I find that so hard to believe.
So I was wondering.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:43 am
I guess cleveland is bigger than the small city it was once thought ... it's growing rapidly

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:03 pm
No idea. Our shul had 2 in the evening and 2 in the morning. I had one at home in the morning. Chabad was reading every hour on the hour from 12-3 in two locations (that would make 8 readings). The matnas had an evening one. That makes 14 that I know about with no effort. In the rest of the city? Assuming each shul had one in the evening and another in the morning that's another 46 (or so) readings. And obviously there were more than that.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:23 pm
Apparently by my MIL there was one. Big city, small kehila.
By my parents, I only heard of one in the day. Town, small kehila, BUT many accessible places by car.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 2:01 pm
In Monsey I am sure there were thousands. In my shul there were two at night and three in the morning.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 4:24 pm
I live in Jerusalem and I don't think I could count the shuls in just my neighborhood, let alone guess how many readings each has. And then there are community centers, restaurants (along Rechov Aza), private homes, and the train station complex. I even saw an ad for a dance party that started with a megillah reading.

I won't mention the Kotel because while it's walkable it's not really in the neighborhood and also because you-know-who was reading there and we can't talk about them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics