Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Why is re-gifting okay? It seems wrong.
Previous  1  2

etky

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 12:34 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bixzobAHCGU

Funny (if a bit over the top) clip about the perils of regifting MM.
It's in Hebrew but even those who won't understand every word will get the gist of it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 12:56 pm
if done in the right way - there is nothing so wrong

I myself don't change my shalach manos - everybody gets the same - my homemade hamantash with a drinkypoo - לחיים ... this year instead of a ribbon I used licorice

if I needed an extra drink I would surely use a bottle of something that I could have bought myself ... but no prepackaged candies or cookies & certainly not someone else's homemade anything

but I'm certainly glad not to get a shalach manos rather than looking around to put one together that was never intended ~ just sayin'

sky

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
We received a beautiful mishloach manos from a single guy, who my husband had helped out of a crazy situation the Friday night before Purim. I felt that he really was sending his appreciation by giving a fancy bottle of wine, expensive chocolates, and a few other nice things, until I saw on the bag the label that read "happy Purim from the ______ family."

Lesson is, if you are regifting, make sure to take off the labels from the family who gave you the original mishloach manos!!

Annon cause I told a couple people this story

Its very possible he just reused the bag and filled with his own stuff. I hate buying bags and save the nice ones from year to year. I always go over them and hope I didn't miss a sticker.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 7:01 pm
sky wrote:
Its very possible he just reused the bag and filled with his own stuff. I hate buying bags and save the nice ones from year to year. I always go over them and hope I didn't miss a sticker.

same thought

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
We received a beautiful mishloach manos from a single guy, who my husband had helped out of a crazy situation the Friday night before Purim. I felt that he really was sending his appreciation by giving a fancy bottle of wine, expensive chocolates, and a few other nice things, until I saw on the bag the label that read "happy Purim from the ______ family."

like sky suggested he merely used the nice bag ...

but either way ... he got a nice shalach manos and wanted to show hakoras ha'tov by passing it on ... fancy wine & expensive chocolates - rather than someone leftover pastries - is not too shabby ...

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 7:08 pm
"Oops, I ran out of mishloach manot" is an acceptable excuse.

I brought MM to a friend who apologized that she was getting over not feeling well so the only people getting MM from her were families in the same building, but she invited me in for a cold drink and a taste of what she was putting in the packages. Another offered no excuse other than that she hadn't been in the mood to bake but she had scotch so that was good too.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:53 pm
rosehill wrote:
The *point* of MM is to fulfill the mitzva of giving two food items to one friend. Once that's done, you could argue what's the point of the circus MM has turned into?

hear, hear!

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:03 pm
greenfire wrote:
same thought

I hate it when people use stickers. I reuse packaging to the extent possible--usually the following year or a few years later--and staple a label or card to the bag or basket so that it can be removed and the bag or basket or box reused by the recipient as well. If someone uses a sticker, now I either can't use the bag for gifting or have to find an even bigger sticker to cover it. And since spending good money on something as unnecessary as stickers is against my religion, chances are slim that we'd have any.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:11 pm
sky wrote:

Thanks, I never thought of that! Way to not be dlz Sad I did take the sticker off the bag so my husband wouldn't know that it might be a regift, but now I know that, too.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:05 am
Stickers?

We print a page with our name and saying what's inside so people with food restrictions or allergies will know what to eat and what to not and tape it on. If someone wants to save our plastic container that costs a shekel and change for next year and pack their MM in a collection of differently sized containers, we're not stopping them.

Pandabeer

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:39 am
I sent misihloach monos to an eldery couple on my block and they always sent back a regifted. I don't mind and I wouldn't have wanted they shoukd prepare. they are happy to give what they received, what should they do with it all?
BTW I once received from them one with a picture probably from one of the families, my children found it hilarious

Beyla

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. So what is the point of MM to begin with if one simply regifts what others give? If something is re-gifted and it is suspected or is obvious to the receiver, it negates the purpose of MM and in fact does the opposite.

Someone in my community asked me if it was allowed to regift a MM, aren't we supposed to eat it?

So we asked a Rav and he said that the purpose of receiving a MM is to have pleasure of it and eat it during the Mishte, but if by giving it to a third Jew we also have pleasure, then we can and should do it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics