Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Giving over contacts

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 1:01 pm
I am working on a project for my boss that requires contacts in other businesses. I have made alot of contacts and am in constant communication with them to complete the project.
Today, my boss told me that a new employee, we'll call her Mary, did a similar project at a previous job and she may have contacts that would be helpful to me.
But instead of saying ask her for her contacts he said "so please give Mary your list of contacts."
He didn't say that she's taking over the project or that we'll work on it together. Just to give her the contacts that I worked hard to create and maintain.
I do have reason to believe that he wants to let me go and he may be asking for the contacts in preparation so he doesn't have to start all over once I'm gone. I'm not sure about this but it is a possibility.
I obviously don't want to just hand over my contacts and the project that I've put so much time and effort into, especially if he's going to fire me. If he would fire me and then ask for my contacts I would be able to use it as leverage for compensation. But he hasn't fired me yet. It's a feeling I have that it might be coming.
How should I handle this?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 1:25 pm
ask him how you will be able to finish your project if you give away the information

ask if mary is taking over the task at hand

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 1:28 pm
amother wrote:
I am working on a project for my boss that requires contacts in other businesses. I have made alot of contacts and am in constant communication with them to complete the project.
Today, my boss told me that a new employee, we'll call her Mary, did a similar project at a previous job and she may have contacts that would be helpful to me.
But instead of saying ask her for her contacts he said "so please give Mary your list of contacts."
He didn't say that she's taking over the project or that we'll work on it together. Just to give her the contacts that I worked hard to create and maintain.
I do have reason to believe that he wants to let me go and he may be asking for the contacts in preparation so he doesn't have to start all over once I'm gone. I'm not sure about this but it is a possibility.
I obviously don't want to just hand over my contacts and the project that I've put so much time and effort into, especially if he's going to fire me. If he would fire me and then ask for my contacts I would be able to use it as leverage for compensation. But he hasn't fired me yet. It's a feeling I have that it might be coming.
How should I handle this?

These are not contacts that you made on your own time, or as an independent contractor. Your employer paid you to develop those contacts on its behalf, in connection with the project that you're working on. Your employer has paid you to keep up those contacts in connection with the project. The contacts belong to your employer, not you.

You can certainly tell your employer that you've developed an excellent working relationship with the contacts, and think it would be counterproductive for Mary to take over contact with them at this point.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
These are not contacts that you made on your own time, or as an independent contractor. Your employer paid you to develop those contacts on its behalf, in connection with the project that you're working on. Your employer has paid you to keep up those contacts in connection with the project. The contacts belong to your employer, not you.

You can certainly tell your employer that you've developed an excellent working relationship with the contacts, and think it would be counterproductive for Mary to take over contact with them at this point.

Op here
There are a few contacts which I had before I started this job. So as a whole you're correct but not totally.
I don't want to hand over the contact list then get fired and he has everything he needs and I have nothing. I'm trying to find a way to protect myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics