Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Using israeli appliances in the US

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 1:41 pm
(first off- the reason this is anonymous- because I know some people hate anonymous posts- is because we are not 100% sure if we will have to leave yet- and I certainly don't want to announce it on a website I know my friends frequent just like that:()

so if the title didn't explain, I know that you can very easily buy things like converters for stuff you bring with you from the US to Israel- phones, computers, kitchen appliances, tv's, etc.
my question is, has anyone done the opposite?
Our kitchen appliances are both high-end, and they are things I really loved and picked out myself when we built our kitchen here. Unfortuantely, we might have to move back to the US. Sure, I could sell them, but first of all- I will get pennies for what I paid for the things, because most people would not be wiling to pay U.S./European prices (like I did) for custom appliances and fixtures - let alone used ones, and second of all (more important!), I really like my appliances!!

I don't even know who to talk to about this back in the US- do we have to buy converters? or does an electrician have to re-wire something in our house in the US if and when we move? can an electrician re-wire the appliances themselves?
excuse my ignorance when it comes to electical terms.
thanks everyone Sad

m in Israel

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 1:51 pm
The electrical converter that we bought when we came to Israel is a "step-up/step down" converter. IOW you can go in either direction -- from 110 to 220 or from 220 to 110 -- you just need to move the switch in the right direction. So I don't see why you couldn't use something like that. I don't use it for any major appliances, though -- the biggest thing I use it for is a toaster oven. I know you can use it for larger appliances, but it may not be so great for the appliances, especially something like a refrigerator that is running 24 hours a day.

I don't think you could change the wiring in your house to a 220 V in the U.S. -- I don't think it would be legal. But it is possible an electrician could convert the appliances themselves to 110 -- but I'm not sure about it.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:28 pm
m in Israel wrote:
The electrical converter that we bought when we came to Israel is a "step-up/step down" converter. IOW you can go in either direction -- from 110 to 220 or from 220 to 110 -- you just need to move the switch in the right direction. So I don't see why you couldn't use something like that. I don't use it for any major appliances, though -- the biggest thing I use it for is a toaster oven. I know you can use it for larger appliances, but it may not be so great for the appliances, especially something like a refrigerator that is running 24 hours a day.

I don't think you could change the wiring in your house to a 220 V in the U.S. -- I don't think it would be legal. But it is possible an electrician could convert the appliances themselves to 110 -- but I'm not sure about it.

thanks m in israel
the appliances im specifically talking about include:
refrigerator
ovens (electic, not gas)
tv+vcr/dvd
chandelier
microwave (actually its a microwave oven)
washer/dryer

so some of them are things that would be running all the time. the most important ones to me are the oven, fridge, and the chandelier...
what is illegal about it? is it like stealing too much energy from what is supposed to be distributed to a neighborhood? or is it a safety issue? again- excuse my ignorance!!
does anyone know a US based electician who I could call for a sort of "consultation"?
that is something else we were thinking of- converting them appliances themselves to 110V (meanning- their plugs in the back of them would now have the square US thingies, not the US circular thingies). is that something that is even done?

peacemom

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 3:18 pm
You cannot rewire a house to 220v in the US. It has nothing to do with legalities. The US electrical system is set up as 110V. Changing the plugs is a very simple thing, but that does not help. You will blow the appliance if you do that. You will also need a transformer for each appliance. Large appliances usually do not work well with transformers especially a fridge. It is probably not a good idea, but ask an American electrician or appliance technician. A chandelier is no problem, since it does not have a motor. You just change the plug and it will work with no problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions