Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Best/ Worst / Funniest MM You Got
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:01 am
I have two kids with severe allergies, lus I havw a few of my own.

Peanuts and sesame are not the only airborne allergy.....I have an airborne fruit allergy. Yes, I cannot be in the same room with said fruit.....Yes it is annoying. It was a huge problem when a neighbor sent a fruit platter when we had a baby. I almost passed out getting it to another neighbor....

ITS my job to keep my kids safe, that means I check every item we get, they do not eat anything homemade, unless its from my mother or my aunt, and I was told it was safe.

Its not everyone elss job to worry about it.

Everything I make is safe for my kids, so If thy want something they can have from my extras, all day. All my food is peanut, nut, egg, dairy, and sesame free.

I have a close freind with any of our allergies, her kid is allergic to the one oil that is safe for mine, so I tell her what has that oil, and what does not.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:29 am
Water may not be considered a choshuv item, so not sure a mineral water/seltzer mishloach manos is a great idea.

Turkey and rice are the least allergenic foods though. I expect a lot of that next year.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 10:35 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Water may not be considered a choshuv item, so not sure a mineral water/seltzer mishloach manos is a great idea.

Turkey and rice are the least allergenic foods though. I expect a lot of that next year.

flavored water should be okay, or flavored seltzer.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:15 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I'm not going to play best and worst here, but I'd like to mention one thing: every year people spend a lot of money on fancy looking candy made in china. my family takes those things and moves them right to the trash. this goes along with the non-kosher small liquor bottles. please check what you are giving and make sure they are things you would be ok with your own family ingesting.

this! please give only kosher things! a lot of ppl don't realize that flavored liqueor needs a hechsher! I've gotten nonkosher items even from chassidish ppl who only eat chassidishe hechsherim!

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:16 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I have two kids with severe allergies, lus I havw a few of my own.

Peanuts and sesame are not the only airborne allergy.....I have an airborne fruit allergy. Yes, I cannot be in the same room with said fruit.....Yes it is annoying. It was a huge problem when a neighbor sent a fruit platter when we had a baby. I almost passed out getting it to another neighbor....

ITS my job to keep my kids safe, that means I check every item we get, they do not eat anything homemade, unless its from my mother or my aunt, and I was told it was safe.

Its not everyone elss job to worry about it.

Everything I make is safe for my kids, so If thy want something they can have from my extras, all day. All my food is peanut, nut, egg, dairy, and sesame free.

I have a close freind with any of our allergies, her kid is allergic to the one oil that is safe for mine, so I tell her what has that oil, and what does not.

yes, purim and allergies is an absolute nightmare!!!!! totally empathizing here!!!

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:29 pm
If I know that a kid has allergies, then I will make a special MM for him. I used to do that for my sons friend (we don't live near them anymore). But if I don't know that a kid has allergies..... Then I don't know.

ButterflyGarden

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:45 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Except DH has a friend who has a poultry allergy. I used to love it when he came for shabbos because I always made garlic soup with matza balls (he loved them but could never eat them because everyone puts them in chicken soup) and beef (which I usually only make for Yom Tov).

Also, rice is a carb and diabetics cant do lots of carbs.

OK, so how about carrots and cucumbers? No that brings us back to not being chashuv...THATS IT! I'm just giving everyone grocery store vouchers and letting them buy their own food. Wink

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 12:26 am
gold21 wrote:
If I know that a kid has allergies, then I will make a special MM for him. I used to do that for my sons friend (we don't live near them anymore). But if I don't know that a kid has allergies..... Then I don't know.

Even if you know that a kid in your kid's class has allergies, you likely don't know if his older sister has airborne anaphylaxis. Bottom line is that the givers should be as considerate as they can, but the parents are the ones who have to stop food at the door and check what comes into the house.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 12:33 am
re foods being chashuv, keep in mind only ONE of the mishloach manot you give needs to fulfill the requirements. The rest are gestures of good will and you certainly satisfy that even if you give water or anything else not deemed chashuv, or if you give only one item.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 2:08 am
ButterflyGarden wrote:

Also, rice is a carb and diabetics cant do lots of carbs.

:

"a lot" being the operative word here. It's not like an allergy that requires total elimination of the food from the environment. What do you think those sugar-free Schick's cookies are meant for? Hint: not prevention of tooth decay, and not weight control, either. Most diabetics can even have limited quantitites of simple carbs like sugar now and then, depending on the severity of their condition. Complex carbs like whole grains are a necessary part of the diabetic diet and just have to be taken in controlled quantitites. I would not hesitate to send a diabetic something like rice cakes or bread or potatoes. Nobody's telling them to eat the whole package at once.

ButterflyGarden

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 4:43 am
Zaq, I know. I have diabetic parents and grandparents. I was just joking. I actually regularly cook for people with all kinds of dietary restrictions (allergies, celiac, diabetics, all kinds of other special diets.) I also had a child who needed to be off all peanuts and sesame for a year (in the end it was not an allergy but something more complicated, he is not restricted anymore) and I considered it my problem not other peoples. In Israel there are VERY FEW things that don't have peanuts, sesame or may contain traces of peanuts of sesame. I appreciated the people who went out of there way, but I never felt like the people who didn't where in any way doing something wrong or insensitive.

newmommy22

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 6:08 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

My son is allergic to both. As a mother of two children with allergies I don't think anyone else is responsible for ensuring my kids are kept away from the foods they are allergic to. I do however greatly appreciate labeling of allergens in baked food.

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 6:19 am
seeker wrote:
Even if you know that a kid in your kid's class has allergies, you likely don't know if his older sister has airborne anaphylaxis. Bottom line is that the givers should be as considerate as they can, but the parents are the ones who have to stop food at the door and check what comes into the house.

And what if you know that Shloimie has celiac disease, but his siblings don't? Or that Michal can't eat strawberries, but her sister Eliana can?

Or if you just plain forget?

I cannot imagine what it must be like to have a child with an anaphylactic airborne allergy to a common ingredient like peanuts or sesame. You could never go to a restaurant. Can you even go to the park? Subway or bus? People eat on them all the time. But awful as it seems, in that situation, you probably should not be relying on my mishloach manot. Because try as I might, I could easily not know that something is another term for sesame, or whatever. Or I could misread a label. Or mix yours up with someone else's.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 10:59 am
bump

nywife

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:02 pm
Best- sealed bag of pre-checked lettuce and individually wrapped bags of tomatoes, nuts and cucumbers. Now I don't have to buy salad vegetables for shabbos!

Weirdest- expired can of soup Scratching Head

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:06 pm
Barbara wrote:
And what if you know that Shloimie has celiac disease, but his siblings don't? Or that Michal can't eat strawberries, but her sister Eliana can?

I cannot imagine what it must be like to have a child with an anaphylactic airborne allergy to a common ingredient like peanuts or sesame. You could never go to a restaurant. Can you even go to the park? Subway or bus? People eat on them all the time. But awful as it seems, in that situation, you probably should not be relying on my mishloach manot. Because try as I might, I could easily not know that something is another term for sesame, or whatever. Or I could misread a label. Or mix yours up with someone else's.

My nephew has. He carried an epi pen and carried on as usual. I was with him once when he had an attack. It is scary, but he handled it well. He took out his pen and gave himself a shot. He was in 2nd grade at the time.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:35 pm
I'm furious that I got a mishloach manot with cashews in it. Cashews are deadly for my child. I don't know why I'm furious, I mean how are they supposed to know that? Even though I think they do. Before allergies, I would've thought, this is awesome! But now it's hell. Even as I opened up the packaging of the mishloach manot (not the package of cashews) a nutty aroma filled the immediate area, and I panicked because my child reacts to smells also. Thank G-d she wasn't in the near vicinity. These ppl have no idea what's in their mishloach manot because they had some organization make it. I felt like telling them, do me a favor, keep your mishloach manot, I don't need it. I hate to be the purim Grinch, and I know my child is my responsibility, so don't be insulted if next year I put up a sign saying please leave your mishloach manot outside, severe nut allergy.

octopus

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:39 pm
Barbara wrote:

and if you have a soy or any other nut kind of allergy you can't go to a restaurant either. that's the reality of the situation if you don't want to live dangerously. or eat at a simcha. or even eat at a friend;s house.

momofqts

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:50 pm
Best: salad in middle of the day! Great to have healthy lunch on purim!

nywife

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
I'm furious that I got a mishloach manot with cashews in it. Cashews are deadly for my child. I don't know why I'm furious, I mean how are they supposed to know that? Even though I think they do. Before allergies, I would've thought, this is awesome! But now it's hell. Even as I opened up the packaging of the mishloach manot (not the package of cashews) a nutty aroma filled the immediate area, and I panicked because my child reacts to smells also. Thank G-d she wasn't in the near vicinity. These ppl have no idea what's in their mishloach manot because they had some organization make it. I felt like telling them, do me a favor, keep your mishloach manot, I don't need it. I hate to be the purim Grinch, and I know my child is my responsibility, so don't be insulted if next year I put up a sign saying please leave your mishloach manot outside, severe nut allergy.

I totally understand why you're frustrated but at the same time, what are we supposed to do? People are allergic to different things in every household. I'm sure there was a product even in your mm that someone was allergic to. I can understand not sending nuts or things that a lot of people react to, but short of not giving at all what is there to do?
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics