Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Type of childcare for 18 month old

amother

Post Sat, Mar 22 2014, 5:13 pm
I'm trying to decide where to send my daughter in the fall (she'll be 18 months in the fall). There are several options in the neighborhood - some are bigger 'public' daycares (I'm in Israel, so public daycares are all nice and Jewish), and some are private groups in people's homes. Here are the considerations:

1) Public daycare at a municipally approved institute:
Pros: fantastic facilities, group of kids very close in age (within a few months), organized age-appropriate activities, several caregivers per group (this is a plus because you always have enough people on hand in case of an emergency, or even if the caregiver has to go to the bathroom), and professional staff that has been highly recommended.
Cons: Bigger child-to-caregiver ratio (meaning, more kids per caregiver), not so great sleeping accommodations (all the kids sleep in one big room)

2) Private daycare in someone's house:
Pros: Smaller child-to-caregiver ratio (meaning 5-7 kids or so), some good recommendations, probably better napping accommodations (1-3 kids in a quiet dark room on the side)
Cons: Only one caregiver (this is not good if there's an emergency, if she gets sick, or even if she has to use the bathroom), wide range of ages of kids (some have babies as well, or older children as well), no specifically age-appropriate activities (but good toys at least).

I know this decision is very child-specific. I'm leaning towards a public daycare because there's better oversight, and my daughter really seems to benefit from activities that target her skills and abilities even now, and the public daycares here seem better for that. But, she has been home up until now, and I'm worried about suddenly throwing her into a large group where she'll have little personalized attention (I'm also worried about whether she'll sleep there). She is really happy, self-confident, secure and independent now, but I attribute a good portion of that to the fact that she has as much attention as she needs (and as much sleep as she needs!). 18 months is old to enough to really enjoy company from kids her own age, and my daughter is extremely social, but I'm still worried that she won't get as much adult attention as she needs.

Any advice? Opinions? Personal anecdotes?

Thank you!

oliveoil

Post Sat, Mar 22 2014, 8:08 pm
Is keeping her home with a nanny an option? Neither of these sound at all ideal, in my opinion.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Mar 22 2014, 10:32 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Is keeping her home with a nanny an option? Neither of these sound at all ideal, in my opinion.

I agree. My first choice would be a nanny, second choice would be sharing a nanny with another child that age, and third choice would be a small group with at least two caregivers.

kb

Post Sat, Mar 22 2014, 11:52 pm
I sent my son to playgroup at about that age and he thrived. Are you sure there is no private group with an assistant?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 1:18 pm
maon makes me nervous for that age because of the issues you mentioned. I sent to mishpachton & b"H found a great, structured one with kids all that age and it was really like a gan. my dd loved it.

lubaussie

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 5:01 pm
I second (third?) the nanny. If possible.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 4:44 pm
OP here.

A few things about the nanny possibility:

1) My daughter is bored at home with just me. She wants to get out and see the world and interact with lots of people. She loves people. I can't go anywhere without her flirting within everyone in sight. I can even leave her in the arms of a stranger (to her, not to me!), in a room full of people she doesn't know, and she's totally fine with it. She loves new people, places, things, etc. If she's like this now, I can only imagine how she'll be in a few months - she gets more social and curious by the minute! This is why I want to send her out to someplace with more people and activities. (I was apparently like this when I was little; when I was 2 my mother brought me to pre-nursery, and when we got there I apparently told her it was time for her to leave).

2) It's a lot of money.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics